Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to take some advice and replace the factory pads on my JK SX9II soprano with some roo pads.

I figure I might as well get the job done right and get a premium setup to suit me at the same time. Springs tensions set etc. I have Steve Howard's book but I do not want to be learning on my main axe :mrgreen:

Any recommendations as to a Vancouver BC area or Vancouver Island based tech. who does great quality work?

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,328 Posts
I don't know him personally, but many of my customers in NYC said they used to take their horns to Terry Deane before he moved, and I believe he might be in Vancouver. I heard he might have opened a pizza joint though and no longer does repair work?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Well, if you're in Victoria you don't need to go much further than Don at the Brass and Woodwind store. It's on Bridge street just off Bay in downtown Victoria.

I go to him for everything.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well, if you're in Victoria you don't need to go much further than Don at the Brass and Woodwind store. It's on Bridge street just off Bay in downtown Victoria.

I go to him for everything.
Don's great, I bought my VI from him last year. He's usually got some interesting pieces in there as well.

However, I would steer clear from Masullo music. As nice as Sandro is, I feel as if he is a little too far towards the "REPLACE IT IMMEADIATELY" side of repair work. I took my horn to him to get a pad changed - I had taken it to two other shops and all they said it needed was a new pad, but they were both too busy so I went to Masullo. He said it needed a whole new set, toneholes needed to be levelled, springs replaced, etc. - I just didn't buy it.

I would make the trip over to Prussin Music - Talk to Jeff. He's an AMAZING tech, this guys is just the greatest. Not only does he own a really cool horn (Low-A Selmer Mark VI Alto - lowest known serial number), he works on horns for most of the top pros in the city. Just fantastic.

If you decide to go, PM me for my full name - mention you're a friend of mine!

- John

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've recently had some unpleasant experiences with Masullo as well, although some people rave about his work.
I'd recommend Dave Gsopner he runs Matterhorn Music in Surrey. Before that he was the head tech at Northwest Music. Great guy, easy to deal with and reasonably priced.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Don's great, I bought my VI from him last year. He's usually got some interesting pieces in there as well.

However, I would steer clear from Masullo music. As nice as Sandro is, I feel as if he is a little too far towards the "REPLACE IT IMMEADIATELY" side of repair work. I took my horn to him to get a pad changed - I had taken it to two other shops and all they said it needed was a new pad, but they were both too busy so I went to Masullo. He said it needed a whole new set, toneholes needed to be levelled, springs replaced, etc. - I just didn't buy it.

I would make the trip over to Prussin Music - Talk to Jeff. He's an AMAZING tech, this guys is just the greatest. Not only does he own a really cool horn (Low-A Selmer Mark VI Alto - lowest known serial number), he works on horns for most of the top pros in the city. Just fantastic.

If you decide to go, PM me for my full name - mention you're a friend of mine!

- John
I agree completely. They are very much like a scam auto shop. You take the car in for an oil check and suddenly you "need" the entire engine replaced.
Also they are kinda Selmer snobs

·
Registered
406 Posts
I agree completely. They are very much like a scam auto shop. You take the car in for an oil check and suddenly you "need" the entire engine replaced.
Also they are kinda Selmer snobs
Totally agree.

QUOTE=smonkman;1625619]I've recently had some unpleasant experiences with Masullo as well, although some people rave about his work.
I'd recommend Dave Gsopner he runs Matterhorn Music in Surrey. Before that he was the head tech at Northwest Music. Great guy, easy to deal with and reasonably priced.[/QUOTE]

Dave is also a great guy.

- J

·
Distinguished Member and Bass Sax Extraordinaire
1,051 Posts
Another vote here for David who owns Matterhorn Music . He does great work. I take all my horns to him, and I am very fussy. I have many vintage horns, and he keeps them all in top playing condition for me. They're all ready to go out and play a gig on a moment's notice. Tell him that Helen Kahlke sent you. (BTW, I don't get a kick-back, :wink: it might just get you in door faster. He's starting to get busier.)

·
Registered
406 Posts
Another vote here for David who owns Matterhorn Music . He does great work. I take all my horns to him, and I am very fussy. I have many vintage horns, and he keeps them all in top playing condition for me. They're all ready to go out and play a gig on a moment's notice. Tell him that Helen Kahlke sent you. (BTW, I don't get a kick-back, :wink: it might just get you in door faster. He's starting to get busier.)
Go give Jeff at Prussin a shot!

- J

·
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am getting prices ...... thanks to all for their input so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I strongly disagree, I know I am biased since I've been going to Massullo Music for the last 8 years, but people at Massullo Music are great and probably has the best price around town. I can't say I know much about other shops but they are definitely not a scam and definitely not a snob of any sort. (Selmer snob? I dont think so).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
I don't know him personally, but many of my customers in NYC said they used to take their horns to Terry Deane before he moved, and I believe he might be in Vancouver. I heard he might have opened a pizza joint though and no longer does repair work?
I bought a well set up III tenor from Terry in '07.
He was doing repair in Vancouver then.

He's a forum member, but hasn't posted since '07.
You could email him through the forum, tdeane.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I spent a few days in the south last summer, and had bbq at a couple places in memphis, and I would happily forsake pizza for it.

·
3,259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had pizza in Italy some of which was divine some mediocre I have had BBQ in Texas LA Miss Ga some of which was divine and some mediocre. I have had pizza in Vancouver and Victoria some of which was divine some mediocre.

It all depends on the quality of the cook and the ingredients

1 - 20 of 23 Posts