Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone using the Van Doren 5JB, Profile 88 out there. Your comments on the mouthpiece feel, sound, volume, and doubling with it will be welcome. My clarinet is a '56 Buffet R-13. I'm also interest in the Lakey and the Eddie Daniels.

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
Its a great open mouthpiece. Good for dixieland or soloing over a big band. A bit wild for legit or pit work but it depends on the show.

Also consider a Rico Royal Metalite if you can find one. Usually low $ and big sound.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
436 Posts
I just got one from a SOTWer, and it saved my clarinet career (like I had one). I was playing a Morgan RM15. Loved the sound, but the back pressure was causing physical problems. The sound (for me) is not too far out. If you like putting a lot of air through the horn(as most doublers would), this could be just the ticket. Still looking for a better reed setup, but I'm now on the right road with the "black stick of death".:cool:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, everyone, for the input. I actually started on Clarinet many years ago, Classical setup, but haven't had a call to play much it until recently. The last time I doubled was Bari in a Big Band, plus Clarinet. That was a trip. After playing Tenor only for several years my old set up, Charles Bay MOM with a 4 or 5 Van Doren or LaVoz Hard just isn't working. Too much resistance - too little sound -too much work - no time to practice Clarinet. I need to change my set up and concept. Any more suggestions or experiences are welcome.
The only fear I have of the VanDoren 5 JB 88 is that it's really open.

·
2,960 Posts
if all you will be playing is big band-i recommend the lakey. its extremly loud yet easy to blow. also tunes sharp so your cold horn wont be flat when you pick it up after a long period of sitting idle on the peg. the 5jb is a great mpc-rich sound but its so tiring to play. my personal jazz setup is a runyon jazz custom w/plasticover reed

·
436 Posts
Mojo wrote:
Try a Legere reed.
I am a big proponent of the Legere's, but for me, it just didn't work on the 5JB. I need to try a few other brands of cane...

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
If the tip of the 5JB is too open, try the B45 Lyre, it's a little closer, a bit more refined, less of a trad sound, but it worked for me as a doubler's piece because it allows saxophone amounts of air to work well. I used a V12 2.5 or 3 reed on it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I know that Tom Fischer (out of New Orleans) uses a 5JB, he gets a great big sound out of it although it is rather bright compared to, say, Goodman or Shaw. Maybe you can hear some of his stuff on the web. I would like to get more volume myself, but have been told that this mpc is hard for an "intermediate" player to control.

·
Registered
43 Posts
what size reeds are you guys using with your 5JB's?

i come from a balkan background (although live in Australia) and know of many pro players (eg, Ivo Papasov) that play with the VanDoren 5JB. if you know about Balkan weddings, you'll know that these weddings go for 2-3 days (many traditions), and that includes the music, so they aren't too bad to play if you have the chops for it.

btw, i believe a lot of the balkan wedding musos use soft reeds (#1.5 - #2) to make life easier.

here's a couple examples;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QkUKmIJed4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptvvf3_bS3k

btw, i use a VanDoren B45 dot and am yet to try a 5JB but am interested in trying one.

·
14,268 Posts
I've been following this thread . . . please tell me the differences between a "Profile 88" and a regular 5JB. I have two 5JB's (bought at different times) and while both are very warm and spread, they lack projection for me. Like I've posted elsewhere, I favor the Vandoren 66, which I do not see in the various catalogs. I'm interested in knowing about the 88. DAVE

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
The 88 has a slightly smaller bite height. The Vandoren illustrations in their catalog exaggerate the difference.

I used a Legere 3 with my 5JB.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The 88 has a slightly smaller bite height. The Vandoren illustrations in their catalog exaggerate the difference.

I used a Legere 3 with my 5JB.
Which cut?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I use a opened 5JB (1.62 mm tip opening) with #3 Gonzalez FOF reeds. Then again I'm used to wide tips... I play a 2.75mm tip opening on BCL and 3.1mm on the tenor saxophone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just got back into playing clarinet and had problems with back pressure too. Solution for me was a Rico graftonite A7 and Legere Signature 3.25 with Olegature. Darker full sound and good intonation. At less than US $14.00 fromm WWBW who can complain.

K
44 yrs of happy sax

1 - 20 of 23 Posts