Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I was hoping somebody can help me on putting a resale vaule on my Guardala Tenor (B&S, bought new in 1996). I've looked around Ebay and the internet in general and haven't really come across any for sale. A search here yielded 1 very brief thread where somebody mentioned seeing one listed for 3K, but that seemed unrealistic. Of course, the latest Guardala offerings from WWBW don't really add any relevant info.

Anybody have any rough idea, just ballpark? I'm considering getting a ref 54, but only if I can get quite a bit for my current horn. If there's a good thread already, please point me there.

Thanks for all your help guys

-Dan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I would put it around $1700 for mint condition -- this based on some recent sales of B&S Goldbrass Medusas.

I say keep your B&S. You'd have to pay through the nose and lose your ***** to get a Ref54. And you really wouldn't have a 'better' instrument. If it's worth that much to 'feel' better then you gotta do what ya gotta do.

·
Banned
782 Posts
hgiles said:
I would put it around $1700 for mint condition -- this based on some recent sales of B&S Goldbrass Medusas.

I say keep your B&S. You'd have to pay through the nose and lose your ***** to get a Ref54. And you really wouldn't have a 'better' instrument. If it's worth that much to 'feel' better then you gotta do what ya gotta do.
i would say the same, but: 11 years used? maybe $ 1200!

keep it - where is the better sax?

:cool:

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ruediger Kramer said:
i would say the same, but: 11 years used? maybe $ 1200!

keep it - where is the better sax?

Thanks for the input guys.

Yea, at 11 y/o my horn is nowhere near mint. It's so tarnished and funky that people always ask me if it's a vintage horn. One lady asked me "That is a beautiful horn. Is it an antique?" LOL

It's a great fat sounding horn to be sure, but the ref 54 just blew me away. I play tested one last year and cant stop thinking about it. The keywork is so fluid and each note was so crisp and centered, just effortless.

I cant justify the expense though...wahhhhhhh :cry: :cry:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Dude, it never fails -- EVERY TIME I play out someone compliments me on the tone I get out of my B&S horn! And often enough from other musicians and horn players!

As much as I'd like to take all the credit for my tone, the horn does play a part in it. GAS is awful still and I consider getting another tenor to try out too. But I'd play them both long and hard before I got rid of my B&S.

·
Banned
782 Posts
hgiles said:
Dude, it never fails -- EVERY TIME I play out someone compliments me on the tone I get out of my B&S horn! And often enough from other musicians and horn players!

As much as I'd like to take all the credit for my tone, the horn does play a part in it. GAS is awful still and I consider getting another tenor to try out too. But I'd play them both long and hard before I got rid of my B&S.
...as you say, dear Haywood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts