Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a guy around where I live selling a B&S Guardala Earth Tone Tenor. I've heard some really great things about these horns. About how much would one of these be worth in playing condition?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Those generally go between 1500$ and 2000$, with some exceptions (generally the "Guardala" branded units are the ones which bring the most $$$).
I have a B&S 2001 and I regularly trial Mark VIs from time to time. For me, the sound is very close, though not identical, and as such I never go beyond trials of MKVIs. IMHO those are great saxophones. Made in Germany but they sound nothing like a Keilwerth, more like a Selmer.

The earth tone is nice to look at when brand new but deteriorates badly. A lacquered or plated unit will age much better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Those generally go between 1500$ and 2000$, with some exceptions (generally the "Guardala" branded units are the ones which bring the most $$$).
I have a B&S 2001 and I regularly trial Mark VIs from time to time. For me, the sound is very close, though not identical, and as such I never go beyond trials of MKVIs. IMHO those are great saxophones. Made in Germany but they sound nothing like a Keilwerth, more like a Selmer.

The earth tone is nice to look at when brand new but degrades badly. A lacquered or plated unit will age much better.
I agree, the Guardala name carries a premium and Earthtone Guardalas are not all that common, so the high end of that range would be fair (although guardala owners always think they are worth more... some people want silly money for them (like $2400 for a B&S 2001 tenor for example:bluewink:!). It depends on how bad the earthtone now looks and how much work it might need (pads etc). Im learning to love the freckled degraded look of my earthtones... its not like I have much choice in the matter:)

Ive always loved how they sound and play, so no worries there.

This pic was from a while ago, I should post a new one to track the deterioration...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
I find that the B&S is a good balance between the Selmer and Keilwerth sounds....to me they are smack dab in the middle, and I really like the tone.

·
3,310 Posts
So what do you guys think a fair price on this would be?
Didnt we already say about $2k give or take? Maybe less if its really deteriorated (unless you like that look;) ) Personally I dont think the finish should have a major effect on the price, so its worth what a Guardala tenor is worth.

Really the only "fair" price is whatever you thrash out as a deal... its not like there are too many other earthtone guardalas on the market to go buy instead if its the earthtone thing thats driving this... how much does he want to sell, how much do you want to buy...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didnt we already say about $2k give or take? Maybe less if its really deteriorated (unless you like that look;) ) Personally I dont think the finish should have a major effect on the price, so its worth what a Guardala tenor is worth.

Really the only "fair" price is whatever you thrash out as a deal... its not like there are too many other earthtone guardalas on the market to go buy instead if its the earthtone thing thats driving this... how much does he want to sell, how much do you want to buy...
I'm trying it out this sunday. Price is 2500. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.

·
3,310 Posts
I'm trying it out this sunday. Price is 2500. Seems like a pretty good deal to me.
Well, its not unreasonable to ask for $2500, but its maybe worth trying to haggle them down cos its really not worth that unless its in outstanding condition and set up exactly how you would wish. Is it a store selling it, or a private sale. Store prices are generally higher, you would expect them to have put something into it, and to maybe offer some after sales service should it be required. $2500 for a private sale is pushing it, unless it perfect for you.

Heres a pic of my horn taken yesterday.... probably 2 years since the last one? I wipe the darn thing down after playing too...

I paid $1500 or 1600 for my Allora tenor clone maybe 3 years ago now FWIW from a fellow SOTWer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
I think that is too much. IMHO it is worth that in comparative terms with used prices other used tenors in the second hand market, but those B&S instruments do not sell for so much: that is the price that company paid for poor marketing (and had to shut down because of that). I see some dealers trying to push them for those prices but they do not seem to move.
Depending on the seller willingness to sell it is possible he won't let it go for less than his asking price, though.

·
3,310 Posts
Glad you love it.

Mine must be worth at least $2k now based on recent market value:D

·
3,310 Posts
An Allora stencil. I have both an Alto and a Tenor. They "flat out play", although the Alto tone is somewhat darker.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts