Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally decided that my Yani S992 is not the right horn for me. My teacher used it for a gig and loves it (he can't afford it). What can I reasonably expect to get for this horn? It's in brand new condition and I paid $3,095 for it. Is it reasonable to try and get $2800 for it?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Query ebay...Or place an official for sale here on SOTW. As an SOTWer (frugal), I would be inclined to think your asking price is a bit high.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
If it's mint, I would think $2500-$2600 would be a good price!!!

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tjontheroad said:
It's kinda like a new car... Figure a 20% loss the second you drive off with it.

Why do want sell it?
Yeah, I guess more realistically $2400 or $2500.

I want to sell it because I've had playability issues that I don't want to deal with anymore. That is not to say there's anything wrong with the horn. I've come to the conclusion from discussions with other SOTW'rs that it may just not be the right horn for me. I've replaced it with a Yamaha 875EX that I like way better.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,272 Posts
patseguin said:
Yeah, I guess more realistically $2400 or $2500.

I want to sell it because I've had playability issues that I don't want to deal with anymore. That is not to say there's anything wrong with the horn. I've come to the conclusion from discussions with other SOTW'rs that it may just not be the right horn for me. I've replaced it with a Yamaha 875EX that I like way better.
FWIW, unless you need the cash for something else, you might want to hold on to it. I say that because as you grow as a player your tastes may change. You have one of the best sopranos made in the S992. If it works well for a more experienced player like your teacher, you may find the love will come your way too.

I have a SC992. It wasn't love at 1st sight either. Took awhile for me and my skills to get anything out of it. Now, even though I don't play soprano much, I can't see myself getting rid of it. It'll be likely the best or close to the best soprano I'll ever own. When I think of it in those terms, it be dumb to take a loss.

That's just me though. I'm still honeymooning ;)

Good Luck

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I thought about going that route TJ. There is just such a drastic difference in playability for me with the 2 horns. The EX's notes come out effortlessly from top to bottom and the sound is just as sweet as the 992. I'm more inclined to cut my losses on it and put the money away for a tenor some day.

·
4,272 Posts
Does your teacher have the same opinion of the two horns? If you want a tenor at a later time, you might still hold onto to your sop until then. You'll have the S992 as a backup and you could use it for trade bait. It shouldn't loose more value if you're not playing it.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmm very good idea. Not sure if I'd get as much on a trade as I would outright selling it. I'll have to see what kind of bites, if any, I get in my FS thread. My teacher has not played my EX, I'll probably bring it to my lesson tomorrow.

·
4,272 Posts
When you factor in ebay, paypal, taxes and shipping fees, often trading is a better deal. And there's no rule that says you'll end up getting the short end of the deal ;)

Peace :hippy2:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
bluesaxgirl said:
Why hasn't anyone said not to do it yet?
'cause we're all waiting to see how many horns Pat can go through in a year. :shock:

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dr G said:
'cause we're all waiting to see how many horns Pat can go through in a year. :shock:
:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts