Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to purchase a Yamaha tenor YTS-61 dating from the mid-70s from a local music store. They want $1400 Canadian dollars for it. That's about $1100 USD. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and try it out. Is that a reasonable price assuming it's in good playing condition as they claim? Is this a good sax to buy? I've seen good review of this model on this form. I'm upgrading from a Vito La Blanc made in Taiwan by Jupiter.

·
Registered
5,519 Posts
The price is quite reasonable if the horn is in very good condition (cosmetic condition as well as playing condition). I sold a YTS-61 a few years ago for more than that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,761 Posts
I’d say it is rather cheap. I have had several and they are great horns. It will be a considerable step forward from your Jupiter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a Vito by Yamaha and one like yours. I like the sound of the Jupiter better and it has been exceptionally stable. Be sure to have your horn with you so you can compare and take your time making the decision.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2016
Guitar and saxophone
420 Posts
I have two and they're great horns. I paid about that for them 7-8 years ago. If you're buying from a well-known music store chain, you may be able to get the warranty for peanuts. I bought a used YAS-23 from Canada's biggest music store chain eight years ago. The warranty cost me $22 a year. I took it to one of their stores a couple of years ago for adjustment. The store replaced every pad and it didn't cost me a dime.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
Canada's biggest chain very recently had a YTS-61 for CA$2000; another local store in BC recently sold one for $1800.

I went looking for a used tenor while in Nova Scotia a couple summers back, but didn't find one. If the horn you're looking at had been for sale, and it felt and sounded right to me, I would've grabbed it. But it has to sound and feel right to you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
Super Action 80 Tenor, Yamaha Vito YAS-21 prototype, Kessler Soprano, Superba II Bari, Fender J-Bass
4,909 Posts
If it's in good working condition, that price sounds about right. It's a great horn, though some of the keywork is a tad more susceptible to coming out of alignment than the later 62. You will probably never notice, but if the horn seems to have issues speaking on the low end, take it to a tech, and they'll have it as good as new in a few minutes. They're great professional horns overall.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Sounds low, especially from a store who has already googled the market prices...so expect that it will need some work, and look for deal breakers like sloppy worn key work, excessive runaway corrosion, incorrect neck, bent or mangled keys, botched repad job and "DIY" tone hole levelling - all of these can add a substantial repair cost on top of the "bargain" price, or in the case of botched tone hole leveling, unrepairable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,761 Posts
from a shop I would expect and demand the sax to be in perfect playing state.

BY the way equating a 61 to a YAS 21 ( which a Vito Yamaha is) is very inaccurate. One was a student horn and the other one of the best professional copy of a Mark VI ever made.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Milandro is absolutely correct about condition. At that price for a not-so-desirable 1970s Yamaha model you should expect a very recently overhauled horn, adjusted by the shop.

I owned only one model YTS-61 and couldn't get rid of it fast enough once I discovered the later Taiwanese models (around 1996 or so). And that was after having it professionally repadded. It felt heavy and clunky in comparison. IMHO the YTS-52 is superior. There's good reason why Yamaha discontinued it and brought out the 52/62 tenors.

By all means try it out, but see what else they may have available. Take some time and leave your money at home. So many horns are going to sound and feel better than what you now own.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts