Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a tenor saxophone that I want to sell and I am hoping to know the rough market value of the horn. Here are the details:

It's a Weltklang tenor with 14xxx as serial number. I believe these were made in East Germany or Czechslovakia. Am I too far off?

The instrument is in a very good shape. It plays freely from top to bottom, no leaks, pads are new, springs are all responsive, key heights are good, etc. This is a silver color version of the horn and it does not have much scratches. I believe the top of the body is bit bent but it does not seem to change the intonation (tested with a tuner).

Here is the question:

How much can I sell it for considering everything that I mentioned above?

I can post pictures if it is really necessary but I thought the serial number would put it on the right date in terms of when it was made and what the rough value of the horn would be.

Thank you community!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
These were mande in East Germany ( and most of the times it says on the horn Made in GDR or DDR) by the factory that was also making B&S (higher quality horn and not quite the same).

Your horn was mande in 1965

They are worth very little in Germany or Northern Europe and I wouldn’t set my expectations very high. ESPECIALLY because you say that the body is bent. In fact that is the death sentence, in my opinion, for this horn if anyone wants to send it to repair because its cost will exceed its value.

I buy and sell saxophones and have done so for more than 10 years and I don’t normally buy Weltklang sopranos and altos ( because the market is full of them) Baritones are very sought after compared to all the others because they are good and make for an affordable low A.

Tenors are just a little more appreciated than altos and sopranos but I ended up trading the last one that I had in my possession for an overhaul. I have a pristine B&S ( which is a better horn) blue label that is not selling despite me offering it really at a very low price. Remember B&S blue label are of a higher quality and desirability than ordinary Weltklangs.

I’d say that nowadays Weltklangs, in general and with the exception of the baritones, fall in the category of horns that are not worth overhauling if there is a need for it because they are not worth the price of an overhaul if you sell it, so the only people buying them are people whom may want to try to overhaul one themselves.

Mechanically is a Weltklang a rather unsophisticated horn.

Silver plate is more desirable than brass.

Good luck but don’t give up your day job just yet :whistle:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
These were mande in East Germany ( and most of the times it says on the horn Made in GDR or DDR) by the factory that was also making B&S (higher quality horn and not quite the same).

Your horn was mande in 1965

They are worth very little in Germany or Northern Europe and I wouldn’t set my expectations very high. ESPECIALLY because you say that the body is bent. In fact that is the death sentence, in my opinion, for this horn if anyone wants to send it to repair because its cost will exceed its value.

I buy and sell saxophones and have done so for more than 10 years and I don’t normally buy Weltklang sopranos and altos ( because the market is full of them) Baritones are very sought after compared to all the others because they are good and make for an affordable low A.

Tenors are just a little more appreciated than altos and sopranos but I ended up trading the last one that I had in my possession for an overhaul. I have a pristine B&S ( which is a better horn) blue label that is not selling despite me offering it really at a very low price. Remember B&S blue label are of a higher quality and desirability than ordinary Weltklangs.

I’d say that nowadays Weltklangs, in general and with the exception of the baritones, fall in the category of horns that are not worth overhauling if there is a need for it because they are not worth the price of an overhaul if you sell it, so the only people buying them are people whom may want to try to overhaul one themselves.

Mechanically is a Weltklang a rather unsophisticated horn.

Silver plate is more desirable than brass.

Good luck but don’t give up your day job just yet :whistle:

So a couple of things

1) Thank you for giving me the date on the horn. That would help in setting up the post.
2) I am selling the horn for a friend. I have a Buescher Elkhart myself which I am very satisfied with
3) The horn does not need an overhaul. As I said, it plays flawlessly and in tune in all registers.
4) I am in Canada so I am going to try to sell it within Canada
5) I know about the B&S. My colleague in the band has one and I have played on them. Very nice horns with great sound
6) I was thinking of putting it for 600$ canadian which is about 500USD. Do you think it is a faire price for a horn that plays well?

Thank you

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
in my part of the world you wouldn’t be able to sell a Weltklang for that much money even if in perfect state.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts