Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering selling my Yanigasawa A9932Z Saxophone, nicknamed the Pete King model. It does have the gold-plating on the inside of the bell. I have no idea how much it would be worth now - could anyone help me out please?
Thank you!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi there

Well, I also own the 'Peter King' model and it's a rare old thing! I believe there were only 17 made, although a similar version, A9932J, is still produced and features the same silver bell and crook and bronze body. It lacks the gold plating of the inner bell, and the engraving is less extensive. Current RRP is around £6,600!

I believe the original A9932Z was discounted before it was discontinued, but prices for premium saxes have risen inexorably in recent years.

If put on eBay then it would likely attract a similar price for top of the range Yanagisawas, plus a little more for the rarity.

I doubt prices will rise to the silly levels of Mk VIs or even Martin Committee trumpets, but you never know whether this could become one of the most desirable saxes of modern times?

There are a few pros, (including the great man himself and me!) who regularly gig with that model, but I imagine most examples are treasured and pampered, with no battle scars!

If you have pics why not post them up here? They're a real sight to behold...

If you do sell, there'll be plenty of interest.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi Alisax,
Have you decided to sell your 9932Z, or got a valuation? I ask because I'm thinking of selling mine. It is a pampered one, hardly played and virtually as new.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,422 Posts
With only 17 produced, the way to determine value is to sell it. Until there is a buyer, the price just doesn't matter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,422 Posts
Can't disagree with you Dr G, just not very helpful! Thanks anyway.
That depends on what you do with the information. Start with the price that you'd like to get and see if that draws any attention. Then lower it to the minimum acceptable price that you are willing to take.

I'm in a similar predicament with some guitars that I am seeking to sell. One of them is particularly fine - made of high grade materials by a respected builder - but no one seems to have that magic combination of interest and cash. Instead of "throwing it away" to a low bid, I'd rather play it or save it for my kids.

G'luck.

·
Registered
366 Posts
You could put it on ebay for auction and set the reserve extremely high. Then you can see what people would be willing to pay for it without being obligated to sell it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Interesting thread - my pal has the same alto and I have the 9932J tenor. Yani prices are very high now, but it is a small market at the top end so might not sell quickly despite being wonderful. The only way to test the value is to put it up for sale & test the market.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have heard that there were only 17 produced- also that they were only available for the UK and Japanese markets. I have had two - one was damaged and replaced , there are three mentioned on here with mine that's 5 .. Pete King has one , I wonder where the others are..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good luck with the sale - a truly rare opportunity to buy such a wonderful instrument.

Do let us know what kind of interest it generates...

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,944 Posts

·
Self confessed GAS monster! Forum Contributor 2013
5,152 Posts
I have owned mine for 12 years from new. I love it and will never consider selling it! Just about to have a new set of pads fitted :)
good on you, doing that sax great justice and really enjoying it, really nice to see. enjoy for many more years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts