Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am hoping someone can help. I friend here in Madagascar just brought by a 105,000 silver mark VI tenor with elaborate (euro?) engraving. It was wrapped in a garbage bag! It is missing some parts, and the neck has some weird soldering on it. They want $600 for it.

Here are a few terrible pictures. Can any techs offer advice as to the usefulness of this horn. Would it be good for parts, or is it it fixable? The body is not straight and it is really dented, it is missing the octave mechanism so I am guessing it is really not fixable, but I would love to hear from you guys:

View attachment 27954 View attachment 27955 View attachment 27956

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Anything is fixable. However you need to ascertain what your purchasing it for, to repair and onsell, to repair and keep, to simply repair and play.

Dependant on what your goal is, add the costs together and come up with an end figure, if the end figure is something your happy with then do it. Personally 600 euro for a MkVI, is cheap indeed

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is actually only $600 USD, and they might negotiate a lower price The pics make it look better than it is though. There are so many dents, especially right in the middle of the body tube and on the top tone holes. Yikes! I wouldn't want to have it repaired myself, especially since it is missing the octave mechanism and some of the key guards. But if it was worth something in parts then I would resell it in the USA. (there is no market for Selmers here in madagascar)

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I should buy it for the neck alone...but did you guys look at those pics fullsize? The bell brace is oval! And there is all this soldering on the neck..

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a big deal for most repairers
this is good to know.... thanks!! What if the whole body tube has dents all over like those in the pics, and part of it has a rippled look? and the body tube was not straight.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
since I wouldn't want to pay to have it fixed, does anyone have an idea of the ebay value of a horn like this? If I bought it I would just try to resell it for a bit more.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,206 Posts
Offer them 500 and see if they go for it.
It'll take a lot of work to fix but it can all be done and should be worthwhile.

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I've repaired many horns like this.Most of them have been by the owners who want them repaired and not speculators or flippers trying to make a few bucks. The missing parts are a bigger deal to me than the dents. It bothers me to do it personally, but you could probably part it out and double your money. I would buy it for $600 and could easily make money repairing it myself, but speculating on having someone else repair it and still make a profit is another story.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I'd pay 1500 for it. It's a piece of cake for a repairman to make that horn look not only decent but nice

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Doesn't look all that bad, really. I sent "abadcliche" a much worse looking Buescher bari that I'm getting back next week fully restored.

At $600, it's still a steal.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
It is actually only $600 USD, and they might negotiate a lower price The pics make it look better than it is though. There are so many dents, especially right in the middle of the body tube and on the top tone holes. Yikes! I wouldn't want to have it repaired myself, especially since it is missing the octave mechanism and some of the key guards. But if it was worth something in parts then I would resell it in the USA. (there is no market for Selmers here in madagascar)
Here's what you should do. Buy it for $600 and turn around and re-sell it to jicaino the $1500 he said he would pay for it and make a quick $900 bucks. It's a no brainer. :bluewink:

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Honestly I would highly recommend Matt or "abadcliche" for this repair. He is probably the best tech I've ever sent a horn to. Hands down, and for $600 plus a repair from him you'll still be in the green if you didn't like it and decided to resell it. I'm willing to bet you'll love the horn after he fixes it up for you.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Not quite sure he'd be in the green, but he'd certainly end up with a very nice horn for the money -- VAT not withstanding.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
Man those pictures are painful to watch and look at...what the hell hit that horn? maybe a saxman's wife?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,887 Posts
Fixable and cheap. At this price is worth buying it and even if you are not a tech and need it to be fixed at a price you would still be able to make a considerable amount of money on this or perhaps even having a good horn to play

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
Here's what you should do. Buy it for $600 and turn around and re-sell it to jicaino the $1500 he said he would pay for it and make a quick $900 bucks. It's a no brainer. :bluewink:
by all means, if you're looking for quick buck

1 - 20 of 29 Posts