Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on serial # it's around 1957 or so...

Silver plate.

Assuming it doesn't need any work, what would one of these be worth nowadays?

And what is the general opinion on these horns?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
my main axe!!!! I'm in Germany and I got a good deal. I see them on ebay right now around 1,400 u.s. and i personally think that's not a bad price you could score one for around 700 euros on european ebay then ship it to the states ,and all in all that would cost 1100 bucks I see em in stores for 900 euros here which is roughly 1400 us

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
which one???

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
oh sorry,i didnt mention the different series of new kings you seem to be referring to a series 3 which is what I own.....they do vary as to whether they have rolled tone holes or not...mine does

·
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok... I'm asking for lots of pictures, will see what I get

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
if you do ...in fact play ska:rr: this is a GREAT horn

i get better projection with this horn...its very friendly to my "screamer" mouthpieces (guardala,strathon) at the same time being large bore,full toned

....and looking cool as all[rolleyes]

·
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you do ...in fact play ska:rr: this is a GREAT horn

i get better projection with this horn...its very friendly to my "screamer" mouthpieces (guardala,strathon) at the same time being large bore,full toned

....and looking cool as all[rolleyes]
Yeah I play ska/punk. Currently on a Mauriat 66R, always looking for cool horns though. Haven't heard back from the guy yet, we'll see what happens (if anything).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Be very careful buying one of these horns... you will not be able to put them down and it will become your main axe..very well made and the tone you can get is well very pleasing. I got my sax for a steal and had it completely rebuilt. If you do go through with the purchase, I suggest that you start out with a closed MP, such as a 5 or even a 4 with a 3 reed...trust me...you will like it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,665 Posts
The only thing you need to be careful about , aside from liking it too much, is to make sure that the toneholes are straight (I am not referring to the problem with the new sx 90 r ) . If the tonehole(s) have been knocked about it is relatively difficult to straighten while you can always level a non rolled tonehole that is no longer aligned. It is also possible that someone , in time, has tried to correct a tonehole by filing it down and that's a very bad idea on a rolled tonehole sax.
Other than that they are great horns.

·
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The only thing you need to be careful about , aside from liking it too much, is to make sure that the toneholes are straight (I am not referring to the problem with the new sx 90 r ) . If the tonehole(s) have been knocked about it is relatively difficult to straighten while you can always level a tonehole that is no longer aligned. It is also possible that someone , in time, has tried to correct a tonehole by filing it down and that's a very bad idea on a rolled tonehole sax.
Other than that they are great horns.
Would this issue be apparent while play-testing? Or would it just be mistaken as a "leak somewhere"?

·
41,665 Posts
unless it is a major problem you won't see it at first glance and could be mistaken for a leak somewhere (which could be the case without any of these problems!).
A good technician might still be able to deal with this issue but it is a difficult repair.

·
41,665 Posts
maybe some of our technician friends are going to chip in, I find it difficult for an ordinary buyer, such as myself, to be able to check about this remote but possible issue.

·
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I got some pictures of the horn, not sure what to post in order for you guys to figure out where this one falls in the value department but here are some:

·
41,665 Posts
it looks nice and it has the usual cracks of the lucite guards . other than that it is pretty nice looking. these are not so expensive in the Netherlands while in Germany they tend to cost more. In Holland one wouldn't pay more that 1500- 1800 € for one in perfect condition from a shop (overhauled and lucite guards not broken) , less for one like those, not overhauled and cracked lucite guards 750€ from a private seller.

·
41,665 Posts
in my part of the world this is as cheap as inexpensive fried potatoes , if everything else is kosher

·
4,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
in my part of the world this is as cheap as inexpensive fried potatoes , if everything else is kosher
lol well I was in Berlin last month, and that's about right about fried potatoes :)

He says it plays fine and there aren't any issues. We'll go from here and see what is what.

·
41,665 Posts
you could point out that the lucite guards are very difficult to replace.......... and drive an hard bargain

1 - 20 of 25 Posts