Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a stencil Gretsch Great American C melody sax patented 1914, number 1119954, next number is p17024 L. I had the pads,felts and corks replaced and the silver is in excellent shape. It has a small ding on the tip of the bell, but otherwise no other blemishes. I thought I would play this, but have not, I play a Keilwerth s90 tenor and devote all my time with it. It comes with its original case. I need to know a asking price for this horn,and was this made by Conn?? thanks for any info. Dominic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
Without seeing a pic it's hard to definitively say, but from the numbers stamped I'd say it is a Conn.

Despite all the work you invested in it, market value may be $350-450...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jayesf, Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, I have more invested. I thought they would be worth more. Thanks again, Dominic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,998 Posts
Sorry, but I'm going lower... you'll get maybe a couple hundred bucks in a private sale if you're lucky. Need to see a picture to confirm who made it, though if it has a Mercedes logo style guard over the low C pad cup it likely is a Conn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,206 Posts
Didn't Marton do some Gretsch horns? You'll be able to tell by the bevelled toneholes if it's a Martin. If not I'd say it could be a Conn. It is a stencil and so not worth as much as a genuine Conn or Martin and as a C melody not worth much at all though I've seen people asking more for them. I would have said about $300-$400

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
Sorry, but I'm going lower... you'll get maybe a couple hundred bucks in a private sale if you're lucky. Need to see a picture to confirm who made it, though if it has a Mercedes logo style guard over the low C pad cup it likely is a Conn.
I agree with this. Personal/Craigslist value is not much more than $200 depending on condition. Ebay value is mostly under $200 on any C-Melody. Retail doesn't often even bother.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Grumps, it does have the mercedes logo. Any more in value?? I can send you pictures if I have your Email. Thanks, Dominic

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,998 Posts
Sounds like a Conn (and it has a C above the serial number as well, with the L below it, right?), so I don't think I need pictures. You can always ask for $500 as it's been repadded and should be ready to play, but I'd be prepared to get only offers for about half of that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts