Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I know this question is hard to answer, and I apologize, but could somebody tell me roughly what a series one alto might, should, or would go for here on SOTW? I haven't been able to find any sold here using the search button; there's one completed on ebay, but it was a tenor and it went high (@1800). I was thinking $1000-1200. Is that way off?

This horn was fully overhauled in 2001, and serviced in Jan 2007. It'll come with a protec case and a Selmer D HR mouthpiece.

Thanks,

Rory

·
Banned
182 Posts
you should probably take no less than $1400-1500 if it's in good shape.. I'll take it right now for $1000-1200

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Hersch17 said:
you should probably take no less than $1400-1500 if it's in good shape.. I'll take it right now for $1000-1200
I thought you were trying to unload horns, dude. :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,112 Posts
If it is in good condition (you don't write anything about past/present damage), your range is very low. Don't know of how many player have heard of J. Michael Leonard but he has played (and still plays) the same SA80 alto series I throughout his career. Being a top notch classical saxophone player that vouches for the merits of a horn, its tonal qualities, and how well it holds up over time being played for hours and hours each day, year in and year out. BTW, his web-site is here: http://www.jmichaelleonard.com/bio.html. I would add at least $ 500 to your asking price and test the waters.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,262 Posts
J. Michael Leonard is a great guy and superb repairman (works out in the Boston suburbs.) I think he is playing a Keilwerth Tenor also.

·
Banned
182 Posts
I am unloading stuff.. I was just making a point. But I'm sure you knew that.. I wanted to impress to rleitch that the horn is much more valuable than $1000-1200..

I certainly don't need a horn.

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everyone. Very good to know. I'm getting that this horn is a choice of classical players: I had no idea.

I can't find any evidence of damage on it--I certainly haven't dropped it or anything; I have, however, put in a lot of miles on it. Also, based on the look of the engraving I'm pretty sure it has been relaquered. In general the finish is not pretty--funny, I thought it would look good de-laquered too, until I read that it would turn green and start to smell!?

Rory

ps Hey Hersch, how about a 1987 Mazda Protege:D

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1 - 9 of 9 Posts