Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a Buffet Super Dynaction tenor, 71xx, and I'm looking to sell it.
All I know about it's history is that it was played in NYC for a while, then sold to someone in Toronto, where I bought it.

It's been relacquered, but done very well, at 100% coverage. It plays up and down, but pads and springs need attention (ie: replacement).
Absolutely no dents or dings, etc.

I know these horns go from 1800-2200 in primo condition, but since this one has imperfections, what would be a reasonable price for it?

Thanks very much for any opinions!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Various brands of vintage horns come in and out of vogue. As far as SDAs go, I think you missed the peak. Also we're still in a bad economy and prices are low for everything in general. I have a curiosity for an SDA, but the right one at the right price hasn't come along yet.

Here was a nice SDA that was in the SOTW marketplace. It had 'issues', but less significant issues than you are describing. Read the thread and see what you're up against.

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...per-Dynaction-Tenor-1962&highlight=buffet+sda

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
my SDA was 100% original playing fine and i had to settle for around 1350 dollars for it that seems to be the going rate(for the ones hat are selling)..over the last couple of years I've seen a few for 1800 to 2200 and they didnt sell

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's too bad (for sellers) that these horns are selling for so much less than they are worth. I could spend the money and get it fixed locally, and then sell it... I'm not sure if I would get my money back, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,545 Posts
They are only worth what buyers are willing to pay.

There is a reason their price is lower: There are a number of players (myself included) who simply do not care for them. I acknowledge that they are well constructed and for many fine saxophones. I simply dont want to play one.

I would guess you could get around 1700-1800 for a good relaq in good playing condition.

I sold a very clean one for around 1900 a couple of years back. It didnt need any work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts