Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help on a valuation for this King Zephyr that I just had serviced. Also any advice on the best place to list it to sell?

Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Saxophone Reed instrument

Light Wood Gas Wind instrument Machine

Automotive lighting Amber Helmet Fluid Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Musical instrument Cylinder Gas

Terrestrial plant Art Font Glass Metal

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,594 Posts
I sold one last Summer that my kid used to play. It had its original silver plate and like yours, had the square key touches and eyelash bell guards. I sold it to another player I know on behalf of my son and it was in playing shape. $900 was what it sold for

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I find Craigslist to be the best. Cash sale and no worries about shipping or returns. Depends upon where you live, of course. Be careful.

Remotely, Reverb works out fine. Selling fees are high everywhere, though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,156 Posts
Looks nice , here in a shop would sell for more that Grumps quotes but in a private sale it would be less (still more than $900) , but in Europe horns are nearly always more expensive when it comes to American saxophones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,594 Posts
Mine was a sort of friendly sale; fair for all parties considering what I originally got it for and put into it. I lent it to the other player to try before he bought it as well, so he knew he'd be happy with it. My son actually saw us gig together recently, with my buddy on his horn. Though he cherished it when he was a kid, it seemed to warm his heart that it was being put to good use. And he got money to save for his house deposit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Beautiful horn! If I didn't already have 2 zephyrs I'd want it. I would say you could get anywhere from $1000 - $1500 for it - depending on the market and location.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,230 Posts
Well, the advantage is its really beautiful, although I agree it may be the keys were stripped of plating. But then again, removing silverplate from keys ? Not a typical thing techs do.

The disadvantage is, it's a Voll-True II-type Zeph, predating when they started using the specs of an S20 body. So, not a sweet-spot Zeph. Also, the pinky table is weird...Bb touch being solely to the left of the B, nothing below the B.

Craigslist...no, not unless you wanna get only 50% of market value. Go ahead and put it there, why not ? But C'list is for low-ballers....the likelihood of someone there being interested in that horn even if listed for $800....is very, very low.

eBay, Reverb.com, maybe facebook marketplace will get you something approaching fair market value, which I'd say is....$750-850 maybe.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Was silverplated body and gold lacquered keys a factory option, or is this a custom job?
Can't tell for sure from the pictures, but I would presume the keys are gold plated, not lacquered. That was a factory option - "Finnish III" (satin silver body with gold plated keys) - at least for a while. I have a 1922 King alto like that. I don't know when that option was discontinued, but this a pretty early Zephyr (1937-1938) so I wouldn't be shocked if that was still an available option at that time.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The keys look gold plated to my eye, and the silver plating looks original. That's quite a rare finish if it came from the factory that way.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Craigslist...no, not unless you wanna get only 50% of market value. Go ahead and put it there, why not ? But C'list is for low-ballers....the likelihood of someone there being interested in that horn even if listed for $800....is very, very low.

eBay, Reverb.com, maybe facebook marketplace will get you something approaching fair market value, which I'd say is....$750-850 maybe.
Sold my Mark VI, SA80, SX90R, and Unison Custom tenors, along with my JAS869 alto on Craigslist at full asking price after they languished here on SOTW and Reverb for weeks at discounted offerings.

It’s all in where you live. You get low-ball offers everywhere. Don’t accept them; it’s easy.

·
Registered
A: 1939 king Zephyr A+T: Martin HC 1 B: 1934 Martin Imperial 1973 Buffet SDA low-A
315 Posts
The disadvantage is, it's a Voll-True II-type Zeph, predating when they started using the specs of an S20 body. So, not a sweet-spot Zeph. Also, the pinky table is weird...Bb touch being solely to the left of the B, nothing below the B.
I think one question is when is an early Zephyr not a Voll-True II?

king seems to be all over the place on these horns.

Specimen 1. 257xxx. Still has the square C-Eb keys.

Specimen 2. 242xxx with rounded C-EB key with ZS bow. Also ZS shaped Chromatic F# (Notice placement of c# on the outside of the bow not under like the normal zephyr). The left pink cluster is like the earlier Zephyr.

Saxpics suggests that only first year of Zephyr are rebranded Voll-True ii.

of course we are dealing with a company that kept making Super 20s for 20+ years after the stopped making them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts