Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,892 Posts
Um...that's not a crock...it's a special edition piece that has been discussed at great length here...

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The seller on the ebay link I posted seems to feel otherwise and he has one in his hand. Why would only one dealer have access to a "special edition" mouthpiece from a large company like Babbitt?

·
Premium Member
3,302 Posts
Here's the link to the somewhat contentious discussion of the PT/V/SP Links. BTW, I can tell you that the vendor to whom you refer is one of the most sincere people I've met, whatever you think of the particulars.

·
Registered
390 Posts
drakesaxprof said:
BTW, I can tell you that the vendor to whom you refer is one of the most sincere people I've met, whatever you think of the particulars.
I second drakesaxprof's comment. And I have never talked about religion or philosophy with Tim (the vendor).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
1,555 Posts
Seller speaking here.

Whaler, I'll stay away from your "undiplomatic style" (let's call it this way...) and I just encourage you to check Saxalley site:
http://www.saxalley.com/mouthpieces.html

You may want to ask Tim Glensemann why he has this sort of privileged access to those pieces, which by the way are not even marked differently from the others but his description is correct: they have a slight baffle near the tip.

I think I have been honest enough in the auction saying I did not feel they play any better. I actually had better luck recently with a stock standard Tone Edge purchased locally which sent the "V" in the drawer ever since.
The mistake I made in having it opened was due to inexperience. Thanks to informative posts of Phil Barone and Doc Tenney I learned that the "key" with those vey large chamber HR is, conversely, to go down in opening to remove the perceived "stuffiness" unless your chops are really experienced ones.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Fellows,

I've already done some deals with Rispoli and, for sure, he is a great guy... I believe, also, that several other members have the same thoughts about him...

Go ahead Andrea!

Cheers!

·
4,046 Posts
In the other thread what ever the SP/V models are supposed to be they aren't like a Slant, some people thought maybe like an early babbitt.

Bottom line is Brian Powell talked to the head of Babbitt to discuss the idea of making another slant link and Babbitt isn't interested. With that you can rest assured anything you get made of HR from Babbitt is probably going to play stuffy no matter what symbol it's marked with or not marked with. Even if it's refaced it's probably going to blow pretty stuffy. Better to look elsewhere in the elusive search for a better responding HR Link.

At this point it's not worth the extra money for the SP/V pieces.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Let me preface this question by saying I know very little about mouthpieces and the work it takes to reface them. I just play them.

Why doesn't somebody try using an epoxy to fill in the depression after the baffle in all the modern HR tenor Links? Take the excess off until you're happy with the results. If I had money to burn I'd talk to someone like Brian about doing it to one of those V Links, but for all I know that's not really the main problem with the modern pieces, I just know its been mentioned quite a bit in discussion. I guess the thing that boggles my mind is if Babbitt is only interested in profit; and what capitalist company isn't; then why did they change their highly successful piece at all, especially in such a negative way(generally speaking).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,323 Posts
Maestroelite, I think you asked a great question and answered it at the same time. Babbit reduced quality control for the sake of profit; it's totally logical.

So the solution is to go with a maker who still cares about quality. I'd look at Morgan or JodyJazz. Or get a used Link for cheap on ebay and send it to Brian Powell; work with that long enough and you'll probably have as much mouthpiece as you'll ever need.

·
4,046 Posts
The problem is even if you add a baffle with epoxy it's still next to impossible to nail the Slant characteristics. There's a subtle difference in the bore, concavity of the chamber and the amount of floor material on the baffle. These three lined up just so make for a very responsive piece, if any of these three are off you're left with so so results. It's not just the baffle when we talk about the Slant.

At any rate I agree it's better to look into other manufactures making better modern day Links than Babbitt is currently making.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Well, I didn't mean it would be a Slant, just that it would be less stuffy. Sorry for the confusion. I just meant if you're having a piece worked on anyhow.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
heath said:
At this point it's not worth the extra money for the SP/V pieces.
I'm not so sure that is true. I have one that I'm playing now that is about to take over from my slant link as my main piece.

It wasn't just saxalley who had access to these pieces. Ackerman sold them and so did some others who I can't remember (tenor madness?).

Anyway, these pieces are well worth looking into, especially after seeing a good refacer. And I believe the one for sale on ebay was worked on by Ed Zentera.

·
4,046 Posts
Zen Ben what's the facing on your V/SP and has it been refaced. Of course most of the current Otto Links run about .005 small or smaller than what the piece is marked with from the factory.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Brian Powell refaced my piece. It was a 6* (measuring .091, as you say .005 lower than what it should have been) and now measures .100. I don't what it played like before the reface as I had it sent straight to Brian so I can't comment on that. But they're definitely good 'blanks.' I would presume that the one for sale in this thread, having been worked on by Ed, would be another fantastic example.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
I don't understand. After they've been refaced are the still a "V" mpc, or now just another Link HR with the same reface they'd get if they started life out as a stock Link in the first place?

·
Registered
8,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It seems that the answers all reinforce that this "V" Link stuff IS a crock and not a "new" model, just possibly someone picking through stock Links. Believe me, there were plenty of stuffy, bad HR LInks in the late 70's and 80's too.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Folks, as J Max and drakesaxprof both noted, the discussion about these pieces has been extensive on SOTW Forum. As I noted on another thread, I currently own both the Link Tone Edge "V"/"SP" and a current production Tone Edge. To re-iterate, they are not the same thing. The baffle of the "V"/"SP" does not have the depression immediately behind it as the current production Link does and seems, based on visual observation, to has a somewhat smaller chamber. As should not be surprising given the characteristics that I just described, the "V"/"SP" plays a bit brighter than the current production TOne Edge. Over the course of the last year, I bought three of these from Tim Glessman at Sax Alley and all were physically consistent and played really well right out of the box.

As has also been noted here, Tim is good to deal with and tries his best to make his customer happy, so save the "venting your spleen" about his expressions of his faith.

It should also be noted that Bob Ackerman had these pieces listed for sale on his site a while back, selling them as a Link "PT" and blueprinted by the "mouthpiece guys", so Sax Alley is not the only dealer to get them, either.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts