Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a V. Kohlert Söhne soprano sax, serial 228xxx, which I think places it as a 1929 model. This is one cool little horn! Either silver or nickel plated, I'm not sure which. The ergos surprisingly good, just the pinky table which is a bit clunky. The action is great, as smooth as my Beaugnier Special Perfect alto, the tone is heaven and the intonation is pretty darn good, at least nothing shocking. I bought it cheap, it's one of those obscure horns that nobody wants to take a chance on. I don't have to do anything to it for now, it's sealing top to bottom. What gets me is the palm key notes just pop out with no effort whatsoever! And in tune! If ever you run across one of these I'd recommend it. Anybody wanna buy a nice used vintage Borgani sop stencilled Schenkelaars? I'm keeping the Kohlert and the Borgani's gotta go...

Here's a link to some photos I took quickly today...

http://img708.imageshack.us/g/kohlertupperstack25.jpg/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,110 Posts
Cool horn!
I'd say it's nickel, based on the bluish cast in the pictures.
Keywork looks very modern somehow, especially the pinkie table.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it's hard to tell, silver or nickel. When I received it, it was dirty and tarnished like silver. I polished it with a jeweler's silver polishing cloth and the gook that came off was black, like silver tarnish. The again, it just looks almost too shiny to be silver and there are parts that are flaking off. I've seen silver WEAR off but not flake off. There's a model 1928 on the sax pics page that is almost identical which is listed as "silver". As for the keywork, it rather resembles a Conn New Wonder 2, right down to the Eb trill key on the lower stack. The story goes that the German manufacturers were copying Conn at that time and the theory seems to hold water. The only thing that gives me any trouble is the C# table key which you actually have to push toward the horn, not a downward motion. I think that's why the table is rounded, not a flat plane, to make that movement a bit easier. The non-articulated G# keeps it light though, not like some horns with that style pinky table where you almost snap your little finger off every time you want to play a low C#. I did a recording with it today and, man, the sound is so, well, "pure"! I'll post when I've got the tune finished. I'm no great sop player either but, damn, I sound good...hee hee hee!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts