Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the difference between Vandoren's V 16's, Jazz ZZ's, and Javas? Apparently they are all supposed to be cut to produce a jazz and/or rock/fusion tone, but how to they differ from one another? They say V 16's are supposed to be better for jazz and contemporary music styles because of the thicker tip, but how do the ZZ and Java reeds propose to cater to producing a jazz tone?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
Not much difference : they're all horrible! :twisted:

And a reed doesn't have a "jazz" tone. There no such thing as a "jazz" tone anyway.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Not much difference : they're all horrible! :twisted:

And a reed doesn't have a "jazz" tone. There no such thing as a "jazz" tone anyway.
couldnt agree more, i suggest you use the reed that suits your purposes best, and try them out. for example: for my woodwind ensemble i use vandoren tradit. 4`s with a selmer C*
and for performing with pop/swing band i use JAVA 3.5`s on a lebayle metal 8*

the java reed and zz`s too are more for playing alone or when you have to stand out tonewise other than traditionel reeds which are for a more blending tone.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
yes there is somethings as jazz tone IMO
anyway i think v16 hard tip than ZZ, you shouldn't, ZZ is brighter than v16..
you shouldn't choose the reed by the brand definition... play them all on your mpc...test them, then choose the one who feels better with the mouthpiece...
for exemple on my berg larsen i can't play traditional vandoren, also v16 don't work well, zz are better, but on my otto link i really like the v16 better...
only playing you will find out

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
16's are made from adolescent cane
Javas are hopped up on caffeine
The ZZ is Vandoren's sleeper product.
Thanks, Phil.

I thought the 16s were the signature reed of 49er great Joe Montana, Javas were made from select cane grown on an island in Indonesia, and the ZZs were produced by chainsaw-wielding lumberjacks.

It just goes to show you how much misinformation there is on the Internet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks dstack79 for the useful information. You're a gentlemen and a scholar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts