Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An idea I've been toying with is to use extended arps in place of the usual 4 note variety. So, in my trials, I began to notice that there are 2 x 13th arp fingerings for each of the 5 caged positions on guitar, and, they all sound good to me against any chord! Regardless of which note I start on, the sound "smooths" out by the time I've played all 7 notes (or more). Now obviously, if we were to take a simple 2 - 5 - 1 to play over, if we stick to the same arp for all 3 chords, there is little feeling of tension - resolution. But, as soon as you switch from one arp for the 2 - 5 then to the other for the 1, then you get the "shift", if you get my drift....

For example , try a c e g b d f a for Dm / G7 - then b d f a c e g b for C.
Infact, even if you flip them around it works! The only "questionable" note is the nat 11th against C, but I prefer it to avoiding it or raising it, depending on the context of the line or how I'm landing it.

I know that this sounds like I just wanna be lazy and reduce the arps I should know, but the thing is I know all my arps and I find them trite now when I compare the straight sound to the "magic" 13th sound. Even just playing fragments of the arp then switching over to fragments of the "other "arp", it always seems to sound good to me with the possible exception of starting on the nat 11th against the tonic chord, but even that ain't so bad.

So, what's going on here? Is there a name for this idea? Is it used by certain players? Is it cool, or is it a cop out?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Whatever helps you is what you should use/do. I suspect, though, as you experiment with that you will find shortcomings with it. If I want those kinds of extensions I usually just think of a substitute triad or seventh chord that gets me there. Thinking beyond three of four 'bits' of information is just too much to do in the moment of making spontaneous music.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts