Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm about to try RJS 3S filed reeds for my Morgan 7M alto piece. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there who uses super thin reeds and how you feel about this? Thanks.

typo: I meant 2S!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
thats not really super thin ...

I play a guardala studio or vandoren A7M with a medium bari plastic reed

A 2.5 or 3 is normal for alto

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,875 Posts
They're easier to play, but the tone isn't quite as good and they wear out faster. Many people play on 2.5 and that seems to be the cutoff point. You probably need to do some breathing exercises to increase the amount of air you are capable of putting through the horn.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agent27 said:
They're easier to play, but the tone isn't quite as good and they wear out faster. Many people play on 2.5 and that seems to be the cutoff point. You probably need to do some breathing exercises to increase the amount of air you are capable of putting through the horn.
So then, in your opinion it would be acceptable to try 2M which is roughly a 2.5, but to avoid 2S? I am on 2H filed now, but I would like to drop a strength or two.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Wait...do you think that the softer the reed is, the thinner it is? All reeds of the same brand are (roughly, since reeds are very inconsistant) the same thickness. Brands rate the strength of their reeds by the amount of pressure it takes to get the reed to vibrate.

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jacobeid said:
Wait...do you think that the softer the reed is, the thinner it is? All reeds of the same brand are (roughly, since reeds are very inconsistant) the same thickness. Brands rate the strength of their reeds by the amount of pressure it takes to get the reed to vibrate.
hmm... yes, I thought the higher ratings on the reeds meant a thicker piece of cane... it takes more pressure to move the thicker cane?

I thought that the S/H thing on the RJS reeds was just a thickness grading system... like a 2S is about a 2.25, a 2M is 2.5, and 2H is 2.75 for more accuracy in choosing, but does it mean something else?

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agent27 said:
You probably need to do some breathing exercises to increase the amount of air you are capable of putting through the horn.
It's easier to play loud but when I want to have good control while playing soft it's harder.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Reeds are stiffer/harder and softer...I believe...

7M isn't that open...2Ms UF seem to be great for me, I'd definitly give them a try...but of course there really is no problem in using a softer reed.

·
Banned
333 Posts
Its NOT thickness or thiness. The other guy is right, all reeds of each brand are the same thickness, whether its a rico 1 or a rico 5. Its the STIFFness of the cane that is being measured.

Do yourself a favor. There are MANY excellent private saxophone instructors, in almost every area of the country, FIND ONE, and take some lessons.

Its the best investment you can make, much better investment than an over-priced horn or mpc.

Take my word for it.

·
14,268 Posts
I'll agree with the lessons-advice.

I play Vandoren Java #2 and 1 1/2 on my alto Meyer 6S-M, Super Session F, Soloist F, and Morgan-Bilger 6 - and all of my reeds have been prepped by shaving them down.

Reed strength is very personal and requires that the player's own embouchure in conjunction with the mouthpiece's design be considered. The only way to find the sweet spot is to experiment. Some do it for years before arriving at a good choice for themselves. DAVE

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Selmer's_glu said:
Do yourself a favor. There are MANY excellent private saxophone instructors, in almost every area of the country, FIND ONE, and take some lessons.

Its the best investment you can make, much better investment than an over-priced horn or mpc.

Take my word for it.
Then I might have to practice scales :sleepy2:, or read music :sleepy4:, or do long tones :sad2:!

·
4,147 Posts
coolsax2k7 said:
Then I might have to practice scales :sleepy2:, or read music :sleepy4:, or do long tones :sad2:!

I hope you are joking...

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Reeds help you play all the different tempos: Fast, slow and halffast.
I usually play everything halffast.;)

·
Banned
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hakukani said:
Reeds help you play all the different tempos: Fast, slow and halffast.
I usually play everything halffast.;)
wow did you just make that one up on the spot?? clap clap clap

1 - 19 of 19 Posts