Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to do this? It seems if I am play a track from iReal pro, my recorder app, in this case Easy Voice Recorder pro, records the backing track but does not record any audio from the mic. What I do is first start the recorder app, then the iReal app. After some experimentation, it seems like switching on the iReal pro app to produce audio disables the mic input to the recorder app. I wonder is this can be overridden.

Previously I had using Aebersolds for backing, but I am looking for the additional flexibility available from iReal pro.

I have been using an external condenser mic with the Aebersolds. FYI, this is for a tool critically listening to my improvisations and not anything I would send to anyone else.

If impossible, I may either repurpose old junker phone as the recorder OR pick up a Zoom digital recorder.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I'm happy I got a Zoom H2n - even though I've got all the phones/tablets I could want.
- It leaves no question the bad sound is me and not the Mic/compression/sampling etc.
- quick to record/re-record/stop/listen - so if you need to stop and restart, it's no hassel.
- SD card holds hours, no need to worry about clogging up phone storage (I just wipe the SD card from time-to-time)
- I take the phone headphone jack to the line-in, then line-out to headphones for backing / metronome
-- little known detail, The line-in replaces the xy-mic, so using 4-ch recording you can record the line-in in separate stereo tracks to the (fig-8) mic... should you want to do any Audacity work.
-- another detail, there's only one gain control! you need to balance the mic and line-in from the phone!!
-- and using wireless headphones is a whole other issue, but is convenient.
- Batteries last long, but I use it of an old USB power stick... so rechargeableish.

FWIW

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to go with a TASCAM though deciding between it and a Zoom is kinda like Coke or Pepsi. Will report back in a few weeks!

I think iReal pro recording only works on iPhones.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,432 Posts
I thought that iReal Pro had a record function.
It does and it works with Android phone (I have a Samsung) and tablets.

I need to save it on line or via email ( I have yet to discover how to save on the device) or to share it with some platform like what’sapp.

I think iReal pro recording only works on iPhones.
I am afraid this is incorrect. By presssing the “ share” menu ( which I believe is the one of the 3 connected dots in a triangle ( 2 connections), it is the third choice from above, record . Saving it to device I have n’t been able to do but it shares a file which you can send to yourself or others.

I have just done it to verify if there are any new features. Everything works as described. I sent the file to myself and it appeared (after some time) first in my sent post and then into my new post in the emails. I was able to open the file from the mail browser. If you save it you may need to open it with a program like VLC.

Very much easier than anything else, you can directly share ( no edition I am afraid :) with anyone that you chose, the sound is pretty goo and they advise to use headphones otherwise the played playback interferes with the recorded one.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It does and it works with Android phone (I have a Samsung) and tablets.

I need to save it on line or via email ( I have yet to discover how to save on the device) or to share it with some platform like what’sapp.

I am afraid this is incorrect. By presssing the “ share” menu ( which I believe is the one of the 3 connected dots in a triangle ( 2 connections), it is the third choice from above, record . Saving it to device I have n’t been able to do but it shares a file which you can send to yourself or others.

I have just done it to verify if there are any new features. Everything works as described. I sent the file to myself and it appeared (after some time) first in my sent post and then into my new post in the emails. I was able to open the file from the mail browser. If you save it you may need to open it with a program like VLC.

Very much easier than anything else, you can directly share ( no edition I am afraid :) with anyone that you chose, the sound is pretty goo and they advise to use headphones otherwise the played playback interferes with the recorded one.
Thanks. I was able to find the "record" submenu. Will experiment with it, though I now have a digital recorder too which I suspect wil produce better fidelity and be more user-friendly.

I am blown away by all of the features in iReal pro.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,432 Posts
I have a Zoom which I never use for this purpose , but it is nice to know that I have it! :) The fidelity is one thing but the fact that you can record and immediately send it to all the people in the band or friends, to me, it worth a great deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts