Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have over 10 alto mouthpieces and almost the same amount of tenor mouthpieces for sale. In my current life situation (full time job + 2 small children) I don't have the time or energy to search for decent prices for those, take pictures of those mpcs, write "for sale"-ads, reply to numerous e-mails and pack and ship those mouthpieces. BUT I could need the money..

Have anyone used a "third-party" to sell mouthpieces or horns? I could ship the whole lot to someone who could do all the "dirty" work and paypal me the money from the sales minus somekind of fee for the "third-party" for dealing. How much would be a decent fee for someone for doing a job like this? Is this even a good idea (I might get burned if the "third-party" seller isn't trustworthy..)? I could sell those mouthpieces one by one but it would take a long time so I'm willing to consider this kind of option. Experiences? Ideas?

Thanks!
-TH

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi TH,

most of the sax-shops (e.g. Mike Duchstein, http://www.saxophon-service.de/) will sell your mouthpieces for you. However, over here in germany, they will give you only some 50% of the money they make with the piecees. There are professional ebay-sellers that run shops right? IIRC, they charge about 20-30% of the money (inclusive ebay-fee).

Regards,

Thomas

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2007
1,247 Posts
I do this "dirty" work sometimes. I have accumulated quite many pieces and am now reducing the stock. Sometimes, my buyers ask me to sell their old pieces for them. I only do it if the mouthpieces are in some way special. That means that I normally won't take modern Meyers, Links, Selmers, i.e pieces you can go to a shop and buy. While modern RPC, Drake, Mouthpiece Guys, etc. are OK. And Florida Links, NY Meyer alto pieces, Selmer Air Flows, MC Gregory, and old Brilharts. You get the picture.
I take symbolic 10 percent for my efforts, 'cause I am not doing this for a living, but more a hobby.
You may take a look at www.saxmundstykker.dk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,939 Posts
-TH - Is it really that draining to put up the list to see what response you get? If people had a better idea of what you are trying to sell, I'm betting that you'd get some offers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Put the list up here and see what you get for offers. You must have some sense of what you'd like to sell for. Keep in mind that third party deals can be expensive. They will require a commission for their efforts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts