Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible, with a program of some sort maybe, to use a real sax like an EWI and connect it as a Wind Controller?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
You'd need a pitch to midi converter. IVL made one back in the 80s called the Pitchrider, but I've not seen one since then.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,875 Posts

·
38,875 Posts
oh it plays great too!

·
SOTW Administrator
26,207 Posts
I remember back in the 70s I heard Lou Donaldson and Dr. Lonnie Smith playing a duet gig. Lou was using an octavater (a device that plays an octave lower) through the entire gig. I wanted sooo badly for him to turn the octavaer off.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,932 Posts
I have a pitchrider, it works in a limited way as there is a bit too much delay on low notes. It needs real time to analyse the pitch, so notes with a lower frequency take longer to analyse.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
If you don't need to do it in real time, Cubase converts audio to midi and does an excellent job but you don't have nuance of breath control that you get from an Akai or Yamaha breath controller. They ought to add a feature which converts volume to breath control.

You'd need a pitch to midi converter. IVL made one back in the 80s called the Pitchrider, but I've not seen one since then.
There is one: Sonuus B2M Universal Bass-to-MIDI Converter

I'm sure it has latency and so would be best used with a slow attack patch.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I just ordered a Sonuus G2M guitar to MIDI converter and I'll let you know how well it works. I agree, breath control is very important. If there was a box that did this well for horn players, I wonder how many would sell and what a good price target would be (I've done some things).
:)

·
38,875 Posts
the synthophone works extremely well but it isn't cheap. Partly because the inventor uses a Yamaha saxophone (he will fit the unit on any sax really) which is already expensive as it is . If he could bring down the price it will surely appeal to more people . It play really very well

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Yes - I read about those and was impressed. It seems the best answer to the OP's search. That or just get a WX/VL combo. He seems to be using some unconventional fingerings on the second clip.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was actually trying to record a sax line, but the recording quality of my mic is AWFUL...
So I decided to use Samplemodelling's Sax Brothers for it. Except, I couldn't seem to get a realistic sound out of it, and I think it may be that I don't have a breath controller.

·
38,875 Posts
I had one of those and they are fun (and the fact that invariably these are affected by a problems which causes them to break down) .......but they are not an instruments as serious as the Synthophone. I had an EWI too..........not for me.

·
Registered
8,032 Posts
For as much as you might use a gimmick like this, the Casio would probably suffice. I really wouldn't be surprised if the Casio was the inspiration for the Synthophone. My Casio had the "squeal" issue repaired and plays fine.

·
38,875 Posts
I promise you the synthophone is very different

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
7,625 Posts
The synthophone has a very good reputation on the wind controller groups. The EWI and Yamaha WX5 are both excellent alternatives.

Notes ♫

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,932 Posts
The good thing about the pitchrider is it works alongside the actual saxophone sound you make, I used to add brass or strings to what I was playing, so it was nothing like a synthophone or any other wind controller.

·
Registered
140 Posts
The breakdown issue on the DH 100 that causes squeal is a capacitor failure. Once replaced with a good tantalum cap, it's fixed forever. It's not a bad DIY project

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Finally settled with manually editing the fine pitch using a sequencer, after recording the sax line and converting it to MIDI.
Not perfect, but passable...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts