Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,291 Posts
You'd need a pitch to midi converter. IVL made one back in the 80s called the Pitchrider, but I've not seen one since then.

·
Super Moderator
26,291 Posts
I remember back in the 70s I heard Lou Donaldson and Dr. Lonnie Smith playing a duet gig. Lou was using an octavater (a device that plays an octave lower) through the entire gig. I wanted sooo badly for him to turn the octavaer off.

·
Banned
1,812 Posts
If you don't need to do it in real time, Cubase converts audio to midi and does an excellent job but you don't have nuance of breath control that you get from an Akai or Yamaha breath controller. They ought to add a feature which converts volume to breath control.

You'd need a pitch to midi converter. IVL made one back in the 80s called the Pitchrider, but I've not seen one since then.
There is one: Sonuus B2M Universal Bass-to-MIDI Converter

I'm sure it has latency and so would be best used with a slow attack patch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,885 Posts
the synthophone works extremely well but it isn't cheap. Partly because the inventor uses a Yamaha saxophone (he will fit the unit on any sax really) which is already expensive as it is . If he could bring down the price it will surely appeal to more people . It play really very well

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,356 Posts
Yes - I read about those and was impressed. It seems the best answer to the OP's search. That or just get a WX/VL combo. He seems to be using some unconventional fingerings on the second clip.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was actually trying to record a sax line, but the recording quality of my mic is AWFUL...
So I decided to use Samplemodelling's Sax Brothers for it. Except, I couldn't seem to get a realistic sound out of it, and I think it may be that I don't have a breath controller.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,885 Posts
I had one of those and they are fun (and the fact that invariably these are affected by a problems which causes them to break down) .......but they are not an instruments as serious as the Synthophone. I had an EWI too..........not for me.

·
Registered
8,437 Posts
For as much as you might use a gimmick like this, the Casio would probably suffice. I really wouldn't be surprised if the Casio was the inspiration for the Synthophone. My Casio had the "squeal" issue repaired and plays fine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.