Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just shoved it in there. About 1/2 of a business card to break up the air.

Seriously it sounds amazing now; in tune and projects. Anyone else ever do this ?

(This MPC really needs a baffle).

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Business card, no. Plumber's putty, yes. But since I have a Berg with a 0 baffle, I decided to leave the Link as made.

A thick epoxy like JB Weld makes for a more permanent alteration, filed to shape and can still be removed with heat.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,021 Posts
Just a couple of points. First, a Link does have a baffle; a low rollover baffle. So, being a bit pedantic, what you mean to say is it 'needs' a higher or longer baffle. I put 'needs' in quotes because a Link is designed with a low rollover baffle for a reason and if you put a much different baffle in there, it's no longer a Link. But hey, if you like it better with a business card or other baffle in there, go for it. But I'd get tired of pulling the business card out every time I finished playing in order to swab the mpc out. Then replacing it exactly the same way so it would still 'work' properly.

Almost certainly you'd get a better result by picking up a mpc designed with a med to high baffle. Usually other adjustments are made (tip size, facing, chamber) to get the best result with a larger baffle.

·
Registered
8,033 Posts
Wait until it comes loose and gets stuck in the end of the mouthpiece while you’re blowing really hard.
Your new nickname nay be “Popeye”.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Well, JL....some modern links do need more baffle. However, not to make the sound like a highly baffled piece, as you stated. Some lack the material to prevent them from sounding dead.

But anway...the OP should buy some blue handy tac for posters and play with that. If it is then found to be the sound of choice epoxy is the way to go. A business card is paper and it will move. Sooner or later its gonna be bad news.

I would make recordings to compare even if they are not to be posted. It might sound ok to the player but it could sound like crap on the other side of the horn. Regardless, there are better and still temporary ways to play with baffle designs.

·
23,021 Posts
Well, JL....some modern links do need more baffle. However, not to make the sound like a highly baffled piece, as you stated. Some lack the material to prevent them from sounding dead.
Good point; I wouldn't argue with that. But a business card? whaler pointed out one potential issue with that solution...

My main point is that there are so many truly great mpcs, including your line (!), with the complete spectrum of baffle sizes that there is no real need for the 'do it yourself' baffle in a mpc that isn't doing the job. I only say this because I've been down the road of trying to put a baffle in a mpc that I thought needed one. The results were not good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just shoved it in there. About 1/2 of a business card to break up the air.

Seriously it sounds amazing now; in tune and projects. Anyone else ever do this ?

I am truly sorry for the noviceness of my question, however, what is a baffle and what is its function/
thanks

·
3,947 Posts

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
+1^ that’s a good one. Here is another https://www.syos.co/en/blog/material/saxophone-mouthpiece-anatomy.
No reason to ever be sorry about learning. You asked a good question. Welcome to SOTW.
I agree. No shame in asking an honest question, Bill. I'm sure you aren't the only one who didn't know. I've learned so much from this site it still surprises me how much I don't know. Being essentially self-taught and originally a clarinet player, I have learned most of what I know about saxophones and the playing thereof here on SOTW.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
An anolog device whereby one exchanges contact information and sometimes information about the organization one represents, often printed on paper card stock. (Paper being a product manufactured from wood pulp and formed into thin sheets)( printing: see Gutenberg)

·
3,947 Posts
What’s a business card? Is it an app or something?

It’s a vintage contact device, Pre App era. Images and information placed on organic material call Papyrus with India ink. Multiple cards were usually stored in a folder on a desktop. Often numeric information was input into a rotary selector processing device called a phone. Applied correctly the “ phone” allowed one to speak in real time with another person of choice.
None of which has anything at all to do with a baffle.

·
12,711 Posts
I have a feeling the OP is getting the same effect as raising the floor of the piece. Its not that it breaks the airflow...it raises the floor and slightly shrinks the chamber. A skim on the floor will likely do the same thing and do a better job. Its best to use something temporary like dental wax or blue tac to find the desired effect. Then there are multiple materials to do the job effectively over the long run. The floor on modern links is a bit low and can lead to some slight tubby tones in certain parts of the register. The trick is to do the job sparingly.

Ive still got an old modern link I worked with like this...its the most Coltrane sound Ive ever gotten...makes me wonder what he did to his pieces (of course he would probably sound like himself on anything with a chamber and rails). Too bad it doesnt make me play like him!

·
23,021 Posts
Ive still got an old modern link I worked with like this...its the most Coltrane sound Ive ever gotten...makes me wonder what he did to his pieces (of course he would probably sound like himself on anything with a chamber and rails).
I bet he may well have added some baffle to his Link(s). I read somewhere (so it must be true) that Trane had a suitcase full of mps!

Hey Dave, what's an app? :) (from a 'flip phone', which only functions as a....phone, user)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
Plenty of mouthpieces out there with more baffle, no business card required. It is probably easier to find another mouthpiece that you like than it is fiddling with a business card every time you play. It seems strange to me that gluing something inside the mouthpiece has somehow become acceptable.

I wasn't happy with my motorcycle but I found a fix. I glued another one right next to it so that now have 4 wheels! Is that genius or what? What?

Mark

·
Registered
136 Posts
A long time ago I cut up some black electrical tape and placed a few layers on the table area of my soprano tone master. Its still there and the mouthpiece plays great.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts