Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a former high school player, on a budget, resuming playing after almost thirty years. I need help deciding between a used Yamaha YAS-23 in good condition and a new Antigua Winds X/P AS1203LQ. I have not yet played each horn. Both are about $700 each. All advice is welcome.

Thanks Adam

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'm a huge fan of USED Antigua altos!!! They go dirt cheap on ebay & are very nice horns! I play high end pro horns on gigs, but own three "back-up/ trunk horns" that are all Antigua bought at amazing prices

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
$700 seems a little high to me for a YAS-23 but that may be the going price where you are. The Yamaha 23's are solid little horns and I haven't played an Antigua alto so I can't really comment on that. Economically buying used almost always makes more sense. Assuming $700 is a fair price for the 23 in Israel as long as you take care of it you'll be able to sell it for very near what you paid for it if you decide you want to get something different or get out of saxophone playing all together. I'd be tempted to believe that if you pay $700 for the Antigua new it will only return you 50-60% of that if you need to sell it used even in very good condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,399 Posts
Conversely, $700 for a new Antigua strikes me as being on the low side. Of course, I am not in Israel (I have been there, though) and don't know the market there but in the USA, most new Antiguas may be higher, I just don't know. I know their new sopranos go for quite a bit more.

Both are credible brands. Yamaha has more "cache" to it, but each horn stands on its own. I'd want to play-test before buying, and not just go on others' opinions. DAVE

1 - 5 of 5 Posts