Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I often see used saxes and related gear posted for sale, usually on facebook but occasionally here, at prices that exceed the cost for the same item brand new. Not talking about things that are no longer available new, where lack of supply can drive up price.

For example, I saw a used clip on mic for sale for $500, when it costs less than that brand new.

What are these folks thinking? Looking for a sucker, overly optimistic, or just plain ignorant? (Maybe all three?)

I don't engage with these folks, but sometimes feel like responding to their posting, just to warn potential suckers.

What's up with these people?

EDIT: To clarify, I am not at all addressing prices for vintage saxes or any other items no longer available for new purchase.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I often see used saxes and related gear posted for sale, usually on facebook but occasionally here, at prices that exceed the cost for the same item brand new. Not talking about things that are no longer available new, where lack of supply can drive up price.

For example, I saw a used clip on mic for sale for $500, when it costs less than that brand new.

What are these folks thinking? Looking for a sucker, overly optimistic, or just plain ignorant? (Maybe all three?)

I don't engage with these folks, but sometimes feel like responding to their posting, just to warn potential suckers.

EDIT: To clarify, I am not at all addressing prices for vintage saxes or any other items no longer available for new purchase.
I don't know about pricing an item higher than a brand new equivalent (maybe they haven't kept up with current prices and are basing the price on how much they paid for it when they made the purchase), but as a general rule you always price an item you're selling on CL/FB/eBay (unless it's a hot-selling item that you're comfortable selling on open auction because you know for sure you're going to get a good price for it) substantially higher than market value to start with as a buffer against the inevitable low-balling you'll get... eventually, you (hopefully) will end up somewhere in the middle (more chances of this happening on eBay than FB or CL, where you are more likely to have to be willing to take a hit). In my experience, it's fairly typical for FB and CL buyers to slash 1/3 - 50% (or more) off of your initial asking price when they make their initial offers. You'll also get these types of low-ballers on eBay, but due to the bigger pool of buyers, you'll also get your fair share of buyers making more reasonable offers.

I've never sold (and don't intend on ever doing so) and have rarely bought anything here, so I'm not sure how things work exactly, but I'm pretty sure both parties to transactions that take place in these forums typically know there's no point in playing the high-ball/low-ball game since everyone is (presumably) knowledgeable and any such posturing would just be a waste of time (I might be mistaken, though). What's more common here from my observation is someone starting out with a reasonably priced item, then having to keep walking it down over the ensuing days, weeks and months.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts

Some of it is sucker fishing. Even sadder, is I occasionally see folks pay more in an auction, than the new street price...

And the other reason is for trades. Pawn shops and CL routinely do this. You walk in with an unwanted box of tools from your expired uncle, but you want the black and gold sax on the wall what costs $299 shipped from China, priced at $500. Owner says your box [of $1000 of tools] is worth $200 on trade, or cash sale. You offer him $100 plus the tools, and he takes it, for a sax he has $70 in, because he traded for it earlier. You think you have $300 in the sax. He netted $1030 on a $70 investment.

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
Sometimes it's just a matter of the availability or cost in a certain marketplace. Stuff costs more in Canada and Australia relative to the US so the price for something lightly used in those markets may be close to or even above what we might pay for new in the US. Likewise, I'd save myself over $2500 buying a new Yani B901 bari from Matthew's Muziek in the Netherlands over what I'd pay here in Colorado once you factor in the sales tax. I'm not going to pay $4500+ for a lightly used one when I know I can get a brand new one for just over $5k but many people don't know this.

The head-shaker for me is with mouthpieces. The guy buys a piece from a boutique maker for $300 then sends it to Refacer A for some sort of work and then Refacer B for some other work and then wants to sell it used for $450 because he's got $500+ into it. IMO, once you have a boutique piece worked on by Refacer X it effectively becomes a blank that has been worked on by Refacer X. Part of the initial $300 price was for the facing/baffle/design etc. from the original maker so it's not all added value just because there's added cost.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts
Another reason is that prices for new saxophones and gear are different in different parts of the world, and this is an international forum, not just a US forum.

The listing price for a new Alto Selmer S80 C*mouthpiece are:
In a Music store near by me in Norway: 1655 NOK = $200
At Thormann in Germany: €104.20 = $121
At Band Supplise UK: £128.00 = $167
At Sax Alley USA: $175

1 - 6 of 6 Posts