Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend had bought a mendini soprano (straight) about a year ago before he bought a new kessler
So he's trying to get rid of the mendini (asking 100 bucks)
And I feel like buying it cuz it plays meh but it needs a neck repair
so what is it actually worth (i think 100 is too high)
Thanks -Granto

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
About 100 bucks.

Seriously, though...I understand that here is a chance to nab a soprano for very cheap....but these, well, um....s#ck. Bigtime. I have had the displeasure of servicing a few of these sopranos and they are garbage.

Maybe take horn to a tech and get an estimate, on neck repair plus perhaps ask if the horn is leaking badly. If the estimate is $50 or less, just pay your friend the $100, since he is your friend. If it is more than a $50 repair, then offer less.

Don't invest more than $150-175 total (purchase price + repair cost) into this.

Another situation which answers the question: Can you really get a half-half-decent, playing saxophone for under $300 ?

To which the answer is (still): No.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,034 Posts
Same here... BUT if you want to experiment with soprano, it may be OK. What is the neck issue? I think I have neck here if you need one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Another situation which answers the question: Can you really get a half-half-decent, playing saxophone for under $300 ?
To which the answer is (still): No.
I don't know.. I got a Bundy II alto a couple of years ago for $150 + $100 repairs for my guitar-playing son who wanted a sax to play with. Not a great horn, but I'd say half-decent. Good deals are out there for beginner/student horns.

·
18,000 Posts
Well, congrats on that. Your risk turned out well.

In my 18 years of experience in the used market, anyone can give an example of outlier bargains...but they are outliers. You and your son lucked out.
It is atypical, is what I am saying.

If folks believe they can end up with a solid, reputable, well-serviced, decent-playing sax for $250...that is not a realistic expectation.

It is highly likely they cannot/will not.

There is a bottom to every market.

And a Mendini ....at ANY price point...is not a good deal....

·
18,000 Posts
Same here... BUT if you want to experiment with soprano, it may be OK. What is the neck issue? I think I have neck here if you need one.
I mean I guess that isn't an unfair argument. If you are looking for a piece of hardware to blow which approximates certain attributes of a real Soprano Sax Musical Instrument, and you want to invest almost nothing...I suppose it couldn't hurt.

It is just that these things are so bad in construction, reliability, and mechanical response...that it may well end up being more of a frustration than a pleasure....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I might caution against this. IMO, these have intonation issues that surpass the conventional challenges of a better horn. As a result, I'm not sure you'll do yourself any service trying to train your ear and embouchure to work with these. If you listen to youtube videos of Mendini's (and other lowest cost imports), you can hear the challenge, and the tone "timbre" or whatever is not quite right. I'm a fan of bargains, and beater deals, but I decided these weren't really good for much. Plus, its a real badge of shame to have to take one to a tech. They will never forgive you ;)

·
18,000 Posts
OK, so after my last post on this thread I said to myself "OK, OK..stop the Mendini bashing...it's like a huge target painted on the side of a huge barn".

But, but.....intonation. Myeeeeeahhhhhahahahahaha. One of the sops I serviced....it was actually an "A Soprano", I swear. Jamming the mpc all the way on the cork...it was still 30-35 cents shy of playing in Bb. This even AFTER serious keyheight adjusting,

·
Registered
849 Posts
Most of the techs I have talked to simply refuse to work on off-brand horns, especially Chinese. One of the snootier ones said, “Most of these horns should never have been made.” This makes them basically disposable.

Another said, “If you absolutely love the horn, I will work on it, but you need to love it and plan on keeping it for a long time, because you’ll never be able to sell it for what you have invested in repairs. You are better off buying a better quality horn from the start.”

It speaks volumes that your friend is disposing of this one at a loss and bought a Kessler horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,029 Posts
Most of the techs I have talked to simply refuse to work on off-brand horns, especially Chinese. One of the snootier ones said, “Most of these horns should never have been made.” This makes them basically disposable.

Another said, “If you absolutely love the horn, I will work on it, but you need to love it and plan on keeping it for a long time, because you’ll never be able to sell it for what you have invested in repairs. You are better off buying a better quality horn from the start.”

It speaks volumes that your friend is disposing of this one at a loss and bought a Kessler horn.
I wonder if the Techs mentioned would even give the Kessler a chance given their bias? You know they are also Asian made horns and not a Selmer, Yamaha, Yani, or Keilwerth. I first encountered this attitude 10-15 years ago when Made in Taiwan garnered the same attitude from Techs, though we all now know really goods horns are made there today.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, congrats on that. Your risk turned out well.

In my 18 years of experience in the used market, anyone can give an example of outlier bargains...but they are outliers. You and your son lucked out.
It is atypical, is what I am saying.

If folks believe they can end up with a solid, reputable, well-serviced, decent-playing sax for $250...that is not a realistic expectation.

It is highly likely they cannot/will not.

There is a bottom to every market.

And a Mendini ....at ANY price point...is not a good deal....
Must be local market differences. Right now there are 2 Bundy II altos and even a Vito/Yamaha alto on CL locally for $300 or less, all claiming to be in good order and fully serviced. I would bet at least 1 of the 3 is "half-decent."

·
18,000 Posts
Interesting. I could see the Bundys not fetching good $ due to their lack of desirability, but am surprised someone would sell a Vito-Yama 21 in good tack for $300 or less...but as you say, local market.

·
Registered
849 Posts
I wonder if the Techs mentioned would even give the Kessler a chance given their bias? You know they are also Asian made horns and not a Selmer, Yamaha, Yani, or Keilwerth. I first encountered this attitude 10-15 years ago when Made in Taiwan garnered the same attitude from Techs, though we all now know really goods horns are made there today.
Perhaps not, one told me to avoid off-brand horns and considered Jupiter about as far out as he would go. Mind you, this is really common. Several of these techs are SOTW members and all of them are well known saxophone techs and not just guys working in a local music store, although that’s where I first encountered this attitude and why I started reaching out to find someone to work on my Chinese and Taiwanese saxes.

An advantage of Kessler, however, is that they will work on their own horns as will techs at most stores that carry instruments made by Tenon, primarily Chateau and a few other labels.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Mendini? No. Just...it'll be more trouble than it's worth to you to experiment. You'll find that you HATE soprano (when you might just hate the Mendini. I certainly do).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts