Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen a single one. Given that a few have been sold annually over the last decade or two, shouldn't some of these be surfacing in used condition?

·
Forum Contributor 2012, SOTW Saxophone Whisperer,
3,212 Posts
Up to about 30 years ago there were only about 20 known in the world. Even with modern manufacturers, the price is pretty high so not everybody is getting them. Lets say the number grew to 60. That's in the WHOLE WORLD! Probably the actual number is more like half that or less. I think the people who have them are coveting them. (I actually know of where 5 of them are right now and can with a little hunting could find another 5.) . They are still a rare beast. One of my former students has played 3 of them. (I'm friends with Paul Cohen and I've been following Contrabasses since 1992).

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Not a contrabass, but a bass sax was for sale at Beacock Music in Vancouver, Washington, a few years ago. It was an old Conn, but looked good. Asking price was $10k. I assume they sold it or owner took it back from consignment.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
I've never seen a single one. Given that a few have been sold annually over the last decade or two, shouldn't some of these be surfacing in used condition?
You know, that's a good question.

I've seen enough You Tuba videos of the Chinese contras to suspect more than 40 have been made and sold. And then there's also the Tubaxes. Funny that we don't seem to hear much about those any more.

And given that for a large fraction of people who purchase one of these behemoths, it's really more of a cool toy than something you're going to be gigging with regularly, it does seem like personal finances or needing space would have motivated some sales.

I wonder if the fact is that most of them have been purchased by universities for the music program?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Not a contrabass, but a bass sax was for sale at Beacock Music in Vancouver, Washington, a few years ago. It was an old Conn, but looked good. Asking price was $10k. I assume they sold it or owner took it back from consignment.
Yeah, a very different thing. And for a run of the mill Conn that's way high. (If it's the extremely rare 14M keyed to high F, then it's kind of low.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Sax Historian
474 Posts
I own a few contrabasses.
1. Evette Schaeffer from the 1920s (similar to the one Sigurd Rascher owned). It's on my CD "Vintage Saxophones Revisited" on the Cowell "Hymn and Fuguing Tune #18" for soprano and contrabass saxes.
2. An Eppelsheim Eb Tubax. Magnificent instrument. It's on a recent CD of saxophone music by Grainger and Cowell, on the same Cowell work for contrabass and soprano sax
3. An Eppelsheim Eb Contrabass saxophone. A full size contrabass (requiring a different mouthpiece than the tubax). Huge sound, similar to the Evette Schaeffer. This is a dream to play; it is facile, covers perfectly and plays easily. It will next be used in the Christmas Concert with the Hudson Valley Saxophone Orchestra in Poughkeepsie this December.
4. An Eppelsheim Bb Subcontrabass Tubax. One of 9 made, this is an extraordinary instrument. It plays as easily as the Eb Tubax but with the remarkable extended range. I've done some duet performances (Bb subcontra and sopranino) and when used in the sax ensemble (we create special parts) it adds tremendous depth and resonance to the ensemble. It is far more difficult to transport than to play.

Paul Cohen

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Now, if you lived in Brazil and belonged to the Congregação Cristã sect, you would apparently have a whole different perspective. They apparently can't have a church meeting without a contrabass saxophone section. Not for the ladies, though - only gents may play sax.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,467 Posts
There is a sub contrabass J’elle Steiner for sale

Well, in brazil there are also at least 2 makers if not 3 ( J’elle Steiner, Lopes and Galassine) of very low saxophones, which includes a Sub contrabass and an Octobass.

Hi, I'm Galassine Saxophones

I love bass saxophone, we make each instrument handmade, with lots of love and affection.
We do:
Baritone Eb: Low A
Baritone Eb: Low G
---------------------------
Baritone Bb: Low Bb
Baritone Bb: Low A
Bass sax Bb: Low A compact
Bass sax Bb: Low G SuperBass
Contrabaritone sax Eb: Low A compact
Contrabass sax Eb: Low A compact
Subcontrabass sax Bb: Low A
Hi, right, my name is Rodner Mayko, I represent Galassine saxophones, it is a handmade factory of saxophones :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,467 Posts
yes that’s what I meant

1 - 11 of 11 Posts