Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been playing with a jazz quartet for a couple years. Did a Belgium tour a couple months ago and we're getting to know each other pretty well. It's really a duo that been together for 20 years but different drummers and sax players float in and out. Hopefully I'll be around for a bit. Check us out at ESPJazz.com

https://espjazz.wixsite.com/espjazz

In any case, last night we're doing on of the groovy originals with an open sax thing at the end. So I thought I give one of my Multiphonic fingerings a try. Last tune - not to many people left. You should have seen the eyes of the bass player and guitar player.

"What was that?" "It's like you were playing 4 notes at once." It wasn't the most musical thing but it's always good when you can surprise your fellow band mates that have really 'been there and done that' with nearly every heavy weight sax player in town.

Still need to work on a more musical use of multiphonics but the first attempt was somewhat successful.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
John Gross's book has the notes with each fingerings, which with more deliberate / targeted use. I've used it in that way, and works pretty often. I posted a link to it on another thread. Actually, I also posted a thread with some fingerings and the notes they produce. It's pulled from my practice notebook, so it's kind of sloppy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts