Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I got a USA Selmer alto that has engravings on the bell and says "Selmer USA and a Registered (R) on it. The serial number is 826XXX, and the horn has gold lacquer on the entire horn and blue steel springs.

Anyway, what matters most is how well this horn plays and its gorgeous and resonant tone; it plays better than some of the VI's I have got my hands on, for sure.

Anyway, I am not sure if this horn is an early Omega or not but would like to know if you know the model of this horn.

Thank you.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Actually, the serial # would indicate that it is an AS100. The Model 162 supposedly changed over to the AS 100 about 825XXX or so. A sure sign would be to look at the F# key an see whether it has a pearl oval head or a basic bar. If it has pearl, it's an AS100. Also, Selmer USA changed the lacquer color from Rose Gold to Gold. There might be one or two other differences but the sax is essentially the same model! The 162 was Selmer USA's "Professional" model and the AS100 is only a thousand or after. My guess is you have a pretty decent horn! FWIW, I have a 162 (820XXX) that, sometime before I owned it, lost it's original neck and was replaced with an AS100 neck. The only difference is that the lacquer is not as reddish a gold as the rest of the sax. Other than that, it's just like playing it with an original neck and yes, it also has a gorgeous tone!

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Steve. Mine does have the pearl high F# keytouch. So, according to you, it is an AS100. But I last night I went back to the original case that came with this horn and found a price tag that says AS200. Well, whatever model this horn is, it sure is a great horn.

·
Registered
413 Posts
AS200? Hmmm.... apparently the information about non-chronological serial numbers was correct... I do know that there was the Model 162, then AS100 which rather quickly became the AS110 which evolved into the AS220, etc... though a serial number of 825XXX should be an AS100. The earlier the serial number, the better! Yours is essentially the exact same model with only those two or three small differences.

·
Registered
618 Posts
The AS100 and the AS200 were concurrent construction horns.

The AS100 and later the AS110 were the "TOP OF THE LINE PROFESSIONAL" Selmer USA offerings.

"The 100 Series (AS110 alto, TS100 tenor) offer many outstanding professional features. The sculptured key mechanism looks and feels like the classic Selmer (Paris) instruments. A precision bore with proportioned tone holes delivers accurate intonation, excellent response, and rich tone quality. The engraved bell and bow handsomely adorn the instrument." - Selmer catalog AV4785SS Printed in U.S.A. 2-97

The AS200 was the "step-up" model from the Bundy horns.

" The 200 Series (AS200 alto, TS200 tenor) was designed for amateurs and advanced students. Sculptured key guards and clear-lacquer finish give the saxophone a professional appearance. The adjustable contoured plastic thumb rest provides comfort while relieving hand stress. A high F# key extends the range of the instrument to perform advanced music." - Selmer catalog AV4785SS Printed in U.S.A. 2-97

Hell, it doesn't matter if it's "supposed" to be an intermediate range horn, all that matters is how it responds for you and how good YOU feel playing it.

dv

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,129 Posts
last night I went back to the original case that came with this horn and found a price tag that says AS200.
If it's a price tag (not a warranty card from Selmer), it's quite possible the dealer wrote the wrong model number. I used to work in a music store and salesmen would get the model number from the latest catalog and price list. In other words, your horn may be a AS100 that had been sitting in the store for a year but the sales person simply wrote down AS200 because that is the model that was in his (later) Selmer catalog.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,415 Posts
Thank you, Steve. Mine does have the pearl high F# keytouch. So, according to you, it is an AS100. But I last night I went back to the original case that came with this horn and found a price tag that says AS200. Well, whatever model this horn is, it sure is a great horn.
So the original buyer got a great buy. 826xxx is the Selmer USA 'Pro-Line' that eventually was marketed as 'step-up' horns but were still high quality. AS100 or 110 would be correct.

Steve: your information is dead-on correct. I sure am glad that somebody else on here knows the scoop on these great saxes. Just think - what if Selmer started making them again in Elkhart just like before, no changes? Considering that they would be the only saxes USA-made and a great bridge between the Aisian horns and the premium European ones.

·
Registered
413 Posts
No kidding! This Selmer USA 162 is a sweet instrument! Is it as good as a Selmer Paris model? It depends on what you're wanting! With the right set-up and the right mouthpiece (which took six tries before I found one that really worked well) this sax is every bit as good as a MK VII and even reminds me of the MK VI in some ways but still has it's own unique mystique! The ergonomics are not quite a MK VI's but they are better than a MK VII's in my opinion. This would be a wonderful model to reintroduce! I'm sure they would consider it an "intermediate" model but there's nothing mid-level about this sax! It's a professional design and assuming that they don't change anything from the design or the manufacturing process, it could and should be marketed as such!

Everyone always wants a MK VI! Well, this sax was designed in collaboration with the people at Selmer Paris and the Model 162 took many of it's styling cues from the MK VI. I suspect that the reason it didn't succeed as a "professional" line saxophone is because the MK VI had only recently been replaced by the MK VII with the SA 80 soon to follow. The 162 was something of a "me too" design. Why buy a 162 at retail when a MK VI used was selling at or below that price. Also, the MK VI had the reputation and was (also in my opinion) a superior instrument. I'm not trying to dis the 162! It's just that the reality of the situation was that the 162 came out at a time when the MK VI reigned supreme! Now, however.... Elkhart made.... a great bridge..... oh yeah!! I definitely could see that! I've had both and the MK VI is not 4-8 times better than a 162 (which is about what the comparative worth is when they show up on ebay.) Assuming that MK VI's aren't hideously overpriced (no comment), then the Model 162 is undervalued at this time! That's (of course) assuming that you can find one! Ah well....it's a nice dream!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts