Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

I need a Saxophone player for a gig at The Regency Banqueting Suite in Tottenham.

However they would be peforming on there own for just 1 hour so please, only the brave and confident.

Requirements:

Have own PA. maybe around 1k would do the trick. Covering around 200 ppl.

No band so backing tracks required (reality of life for some gigs) at least for me. I will provide some of the tracks. But would prefer someone already setup to do this.

Music to Include: Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Barry White, Lione Ritchie, Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson, Santana, Alicia Keys, Michael Bolton, Bob Marley, Phil Collins, Shaka Khan.... etc

This is a wedding that I booked some time ago and unfortunately for the client, I have other commitments out the country, Also the guys I would usually use to dep are also away. :(

The Gigs Pays £200 (Not bad for an hours work) 9th is on a Sunday.

Just imagine your Kenny G and you'll pull it off ;)

I will arrange all refreshments ect through the client.

Contact andrewd at london . com

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
No disrespect to the original poster whatsoever but 200 quid ??!! all that material as a "must-hear"? london? own PA and equipment? (ie "be your own roadie")..I think you're selling yourself seriously short, mate. I'm confidently assuming that you can play, of course.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

I just copied the material from an email, but thats the type of material they require.

No disrespect to the original poster whatsoever but 200 quid ??!! all that material as a "must-hear"? london? own PA and equipment? (ie "be your own roadie")..I think you're selling yourself seriously short, mate. I'm confidently assuming that you can play, of course.
I live in London so I know the rates. This is fair remuneration for the gig. It's on a Sunday. Not good, but not bad.

I booked this around a year ago and put the wrong date in my outlook diary. We are not talking about a heavy rigg here!! Just a couple of powered speakers.

I duly note your negative comments about the fee. In NW England maybe u guys are charging £1000 an hour!! Though I doubt it. In any case, if cannot do the gig or don't want to, fine!! Then move to another thread.

·
8,322 Posts
I apologise if you took my remarks as insulting or unhelpful. I'm sure you know your market much better than i do. For the kind of work involved, the rate just seems low to me. I can assure you that if that is the rate in london now the rate up north is certainly less! I should have kept my gob shut. all the best.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
i'm playing in London on the 8th anyway at Ronnies so i could do the gig if needed....let me know. simon

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,385 Posts
Andrew D said:
Music to Include: Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Barry White, Lione Ritchie, Stevie Wonder, Luther Vandross, Michael Jackson, Santana, Alicia Keys, Michael Bolton, Bob Marley, Phil Collins, Shaka Khan.... etc
Man, you'd have to pay to listen to some of that stuff let alone play it! :D

Sorry, not helpful I know, but I couldn't resist. :cool:

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Hey guys, you do what you gotta do! :?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
830 Posts
I see it as a nice sum of money, but how many songs can you really play in an hour?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Selmer: Pm sent.

Good luck on the Ronnies gig, Who are you in town with?

Nobby keys: Can you imagine playing My first, My last, My everything on alto? mmm I see what ya mean!!!

Rootytoot:

No problem man!! You make a very valid point, if i had put as much time in another industry as I have in live music, the fee would be at between 5x-10x. Sometimes it happens, but not often enough.

I would just say that the Jazz gigs i have done over the last year have paid virtually nothing after my expenses, but it's still worth doing them because thats what the music should be about.
To coin a phrase 'Jazz is not dead it just stinks' If you are paying bills with a family then this phrase starts to have meaning, though am probably being a bit harsh.

·
8,322 Posts
Andrew: I'm glad you posted again because I was about to so you might get more good responses like selmer's. All you were looking for was a substitute for a very decent paying gig. The point I meant to make was more like a pub conversation kind of "man, but it must be worth MORE than that.." My initial response was out of context. But now i'm headed down that road, my point of view is this: think about what the bride's paying for "the dress" etc..(she'll wear it once!). I was meaning that the value put on live music (and therefore your playing) is way to low. All the best.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
C'mon guys I'd play all of those songs no problem. There's value in all songs. You may think they're cheesy but it's what the happy couple want. Don't knock it. You're not playing for you, you're playing for them. My own repertoire is very eclectic and probably contains tons of tunes you lot would think weren't worth the time. I'm posting my typical setlist shortly up on myspace, to give you an idea.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts