Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello House,

Please I need your advice.

I've been on and off saxophones since I was in High school. I am 25 now and I play more often. On the path of taking it professional.

I currently play the YAS-475. I have a Meyer HR 6M (refaced by phil-tone) and a Bechleer Belite 7. I felt the sound of the 475 is a tad bit too light when I was using the Beechler Belite, so I decided to go for the Meyer which helped a bit.

An opportunity just came up for me to do a a trade-in. I have to choose between the YAS-62 and the Selmer Super Action 80 Serie III (those are the only two horns available and both are coming at very good prices).

I seriously need your opinion and advice. I've never played these horns before and may not get the chance to play the them side by side before picking one.

Thanks in advance....

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,284 Posts
This is a decision that only YOU can make.
You are going to get a lot of suggestions to go with the Yamaha, and a lot that say go with the Selmer.
The only way to know which horn is the 'best' for you is to actually play both. One at a time, or side by side.
I don't think we want to read where you chose without playing and now are unhappy with the decision. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Bandmommy,

I perfectly understand you point and agree with you. But like I said earlier, I may not have the opportunity to do that.

So, I may just have to make do with the average opinion I get here. Its either that, or I choose blindly and if getting advice from the house will help me make a better decision over guessing.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,287 Posts
Different horns for sure, but all models vary among similar models. Of the Serie III's I've tried, all were extremely bright. Of the newer YAS62II's I've played, I didn't like them. But the original YAS62 has a good rep, so if it was me making this decision, I'd go with the 62 and figure that if I didn't like it, I could move it on or have it overhauled to improve it. If it is tight, it should play nicely.

I have purchased saxophones (many) without first trying them, based on my opinion of the brand or the model's reputation. Usually, I am not disappointed and the horn turns out to be exactly what I expected. And, if I want to move it on, I don't whine about it, I find a way to live with it or move it on. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
4,370 Posts
If you survey 50 people you'll probably get 25 for the Yamaha and 25 for the Selmer. So, where does that get you:banghead:?

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
If you can't try the horns you're thinking of buying and you don't enough have previous experience with them to know which (if any) you might like, this doesn't sound like a change I'd suggest that you make right now.

It's a buyer's market at the moment, so don't feel like you have to be in a hurry to spend your money on untested horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,287 Posts
I would choose an older 62 over a Serie III because of my experiences with other Serie III models - the over-the-top brightness of the III. But if it were between a Serie III and a Yamaha 62II? I wouldn't buy either one. DAVE

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Same-old-same-old.

I'd buy the Selmer III because I just think they're a bit more substantial and have a bit more core to the sound. Having said that, the Serie III is my least favourite Selmer alto sound-wise (but the ergos are great), so as soon as I could, I'd grab a Ponzol neck and put it on the III. I've never used a Barone neck, but that might also do the trick. My goal would be to add more body to the sound. Good luck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,461 Posts
oh my..... a perfect example of what I call the fifty fifty - eighty twenty rule....... given two choices of equal probability I will pick the wrong one 80 percent of the time.

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
I assume from the trade-in its got to be a shop. I wouldn't deal with a shop that wouldn't let me play test a horn. If different shops one can still learn lots.

Something that no one has mentioned possible because ergonmically they may be both very close. IMO the mpce makes more difference to the sound than the horn and the part behind the mpce even more than either so for me the responsiveness, the intonation and setup of the horn are more important than the inherent sound within the horn.

I live in an out of the way place so have had to buy a number of horns on spec. Do your homework as best you can tgry em if you can and for my money go for the horn that you find more responsive and ergonomically correct for your hand and body.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
If you can't playtest them don't buy them. You will never know which is good if you don't try them or even better if not an expierenced player tried them.
It could be that both horns are great or pure crap.
I've played on many S III's and on Yamahas 62's, some were good and some sucked.
One or two times I even found a Y 475 which was better than some M VI's that i playtested (Yes it is possible). It really depends on the horn individually, not the brand and not the model.
If you can't check them out, don't buy them.
Only if you can afford to burn the money and if you are able to buy a different horn if the bought horn is crap, than this is an option.
Buying blindly is always a bad choice and you have to be really lucky to get something good. Some people have the money for this or try to resell it if it turns out to be less good than expected but most of the time you will lose money. Very risky.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Please note: the OP said that he had to choose, one of which was a 62. When Dave indicated that the 62 had a good rep, the OP came back with 62II. Efsax, please make it clear what horns you are talking about so that the advice will be a little more credible. To many, the difference between a 62 and a 62II is significant.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Please note: the OP said that he had to choose, one of which was a 62. When Dave indicated that the 62 had a good rep, the OP came back with 62II. Efsax, please make it clear what horns you are talking about so that the advice will be a little more credible. To many, the difference between a 62 and a 62II is significant.
When it is a good horn it is a good horn, whether it is a 62 or a 62 II. He will never know it, if it was not playtested. He could ask the cupboard or the mirror and would get answers as helpful as our advices to him which horn he should buy without having us playtested them. He already has a horn, so the best advice should be: play the one you have until you found one, that you could playtest and really like.
If you lack experience in judging a horn by playtesting (does this word really exist?) it, get help of someone who can.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I don't disagree Mr. Florian, but personally I trust both my cupboard and mirror. I do, however, think that there are those such as Dave Dolson, who's been around the block a few times that would take issue with your comments on the 62 vs. 62II (genrally speaking).

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I don't disagree Mr. Florian, but personally I trust both my cupboard and mirror. I do, however, think that there are those such as Dave Dolson, who's been around the block a few times that would take issue with your comments on the 62 vs. 62II (genrally speaking).
Actually Florian is my first name.
Please don't nail me ont the 62 vs. 62 II.
I found many excellent horns (as also as many crap) from so many different brands and at many different models, i would never have believed it, if i hadn't tried them and experienced it myself. Having prejudices against a special brand and model is not helpful as i've learned the hard way (as having preferences). Many students of me still think that a Selmer, especially a M VI would be the best horn possible. But by playtesting many i personally can't confirm this. You will find the same amount of good and bad horns among them as among other brands. And i really found some terrible Selmer saxes. I needed over 3 years checking horns to find a back up horn for my main alto that i liked (and that was sound- and feelwise close enough to my main axe). I also have checked many many horns for students who wanted to buy one. Every horn is different, don't let a name or a price fool you and overlook a fabulous sax.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts