Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll probably catch a lot of flak for saying this, but I'll remind everyone that this is merely my opinion.

After a long road trip and only one decent radio station that I could pick up over the majority of the mileage covered...I can only say that "Urban Jazz" officially bores me to tears. I'm not sure which was worse...the same two chords repeated over and over again for three solid hours...or the drums that played the same uninspired and unchanging rhythm throughout every song. And yes, I'm sure I exaggerate a little, but that was the overall impression I was left with after listening to Urban Jazz for three hours straight. I'm hoping it was the DJ's fault. Maybe he was was playing what HE liked...and what HE liked sounded all the same to me.

Feel free to comment or discuss in defense of Urban Jazz if you like it. Surely there must be something I'm missing. I will say this much for it. It makes agreeable background music for the Weather Channel's "Local Weather on the 8's"...

In other words..."It's fine in very small doses".

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
15,875 Posts
I don't know what urban jazz is but the name alone doesn't sound inviting. If it was a long road trip you must have had time for many other styles of music while in the car or do you just aim for some type of jazz? When i'm on a long road trip, and I have done a few here in this wide brown land, I pack a pile of CD's and work through them, as well as sampling some radio along the way. I have some CD's that suit the feel of the outback and many music free hours can be good to.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I've heard tunes in this genre that I can listen to. But the one thing that stands out to me is, as you mentioned, the drums. Much of the drumming sounds like "canned" drums, set to a "disco" beat. A little bit of that goes a long way....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,753 Posts
I'll probably catch a lot of flak for saying this, but I'll remind everyone that this is merely my opinion.

After a long road trip and only one decent radio station that I could pick up over the majority of the mileage covered...I can only say that "Urban Jazz" officially bores me to tears. I'm not sure which was worse...the same two chords repeated over and over again for three solid hours...or the drums that played the same uninspired and unchanging rhythm throughout every song.
Ever consider turning the radio OFF?

I'm not sure what bores me more - posts about mouthpieces and finishes or posts where people just want to whine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,606 Posts
So where should I whine? The wife doesn't want to hear it. You guys are all that are left!
I've crackers for the wine.

Anyhow, What's "Urban Jazz?" Give an artist example and I'll google that bad boy. [I hear different terms referring to the sos all the time.:)]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,753 Posts
More curious to me would be to learn what "rural jazz" is...

I though that most jazz was urban, some urbane.

·
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyhow, What's "Urban Jazz?" Give an artist example and I'll google that bad boy.
Wikipedia defines Urban Jazz as ... "the fusion of smooth jazz and R&B/hip-hop music".

...the one thing that stands out to me is, as you mentioned, the drums. Much of the drumming sounds like "canned" drums, set to a "disco" beat. A little bit of that goes a long way....
It definitely sounded like the majority of what I heard yesterday came from a synthesized drum machine with little or no variation in rhythm...kind of a "set it and forget it" thing. I'm pretty sure that's what it was. I don't know of any live drummers who would have been satisfied to play such boring rhythms without adding some of their own personality by way of at least a few interesting "fills" here and there. Even most of the bass lines sounded entirely "canned". The genre does lend itself well to "one man bands" where everything is "canned" except for the guitar or keyboards and an occasional horn soloist. I'm sure there are more creative kinds of Urban Jazz out there where all of the instruments are recorded live, but everything I heard yesterday sounded like it could have been easily recorded by a single individual in a home studio using a lot of "Fruity Loops" type backings.

As for the whining...all I can say is..."bite me". I had plenty of reasons to whine yesterday. My road trip was a day-long visit to a Veterans hospital for medical care. I was trying to find something to whine about other than the multitude of health issues that had sent me there to begin with. It wasn't a pleasant day, and my reasons for being there weren't pleasant. I think I did well to limit my whining to the unfortunate choice of music that accompanied my trip home.

:baby:

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
I though that most jazz was urban, some urbane.
That's what I've always thought. Bird, Diz, Miles, Sonny, those guys all played in an urban setting. Swing, bebop, etc are all 'urban jazz' to me. I haven't heard any 'country jazz' yet, and I know in the vast cultural wasteland of rural America you won't hear a lick of real jazz music, especially on the radio.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
Wikipedia defines Urban Jazz as ... "the fusion of smooth jazz and R&B/hip-hop music".:
Man, I never heard this terminology and I hope it doesn't catch on. If that's what they're calling urban jazz, I'll join you in whining about it. Who the H comes up with these terms? The 'smooth jazz' label is bad enough. Why does someone persist in applying the name "jazz" to this insipid pop music?

I guess I really shouldn't care, but it's kinda fun to whine occasionally, even if I hate listening to anyone whine!!

·
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I know in the vast wasteland of rural America you won't hear a lick of real jazz music, especially on the radio.
Actually, the station I was listening to (WFSS - Fayetteville State University) had played some really great jazz earlier in the day. It's one of the best jazz stations in the State. The evening hours are dedicated to Urban Jazz though. Just not my cup of tea I guess.

·
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hope the trip was successful!
Thanks. There's really not much they can do to fix what ails me other than keeping me supplied with heavy duty pain meds. They sent me home with a heavy duty walker though, so at least I can get around a little easier now. It's a little embarrassing at the age of 54 to have to use a walker to get around, but I'll try not to whine too much about that. :|

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
5,624 Posts
Cool, good luck with your illness. I'm finally coming out of quite a few years of chronic back pain. Living on Aleves and the next rest stop. My best to you. K

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,647 Posts
DrG said:
More curious to me would be to learn what "rural jazz" is...
Here you go. :bluewink:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Weather Channel's "Local Weather on the 8's"...

They like the Stones, too, especially that track from Sticky Fingers. That instrmental jam with the tenor saxophone.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.