Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Yamaha Allegro Tenor Sax and my teacher and I are completely preplexed about my tuning issue. The saxophone goes flat (about 15-20 cent) in the upper octave from A to D#. My teacher has played it also and we have no idea why just the few notes go flat or what to do about it. I would be grateful for any help.

Thx

·
Registered
158 Posts
sounds similar to the problem old buescher TT altos have... it's caused by a problem with the neck. on the TTs you can fix it yourself by making a small insert of wax or epoxy inside the cork end of the neck. just play-test until you get the size right.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
There are a bunch of posts in the Yamaha section about neck problems during a particular production run. I am not too familiar with the Yamaha Allegro, but perhaps the problem extends itself to those horns as well. If so, Yamaha may be willing to ship you a replacement neck.

I have in the past gotten replacement necks from Yamaha in exchange for the faulty neck (no charge, just a straight swap) on those particular Yamahas which are known to have the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, perhaps I'll look into a new neck. It seems logical that the alignment of the octave key could affect the upper notes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,335 Posts
derrick24948 said:
thanks, perhaps I'll look into a new neck. It seems logical that the alignment of the octave key could affect the upper notes.
If that is the problem it is not so much the octave key but the shape of the neck itself. Consider that flutes have to have a certain reduction in the diameter of the head joint tube to bring the high notes into alignment. The shape of that area of a woodwind is critical to tuning, expecially in the higher register.

Toby

1 - 5 of 5 Posts