Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm owner of a "The Martin" tenor. Great horn so far. Unfortunately the upper b-flat is not in tune at all (much too high). The lower b-flat (same fingering ... so am I the problem here?) is okay.

I know that vintage saxes are not always accurate and I already checked all the notes for their little tweaking-spots. But the upper b-flat is enormous.

Is there any chance to correct that (apart from my embouchure?)

Best regards
Hannes

· Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,321 Posts
Mine has exactly the same problem

· Registered
495 Posts
Have you tried the alternate fingerings for Bb?

· Banned
1,865 Posts
There's a chance the harder reed is giving you more resistance to pressure the upper Bb.

Most likely, a keyheight adjustment (opening to vent more) to your C/A key will help. You might want to have a tech do this, rather than do it yourself, if you're picky about everything feeling very tight (the C/A and bis relationship may change, if it's already perfect, if you open the C/A to vent more).

· Distinguished SOTW Member
6,817 Posts
to add: it's also possible your G isn't venting enough, overall (this is very common), which will subtly affect things *you* do as a player when playing notes above it.
Is this just a matter of opening the G key more?

FWIW: mine's the same. I just work on voicing the note lower. When I'm playing live, I always add the lower F key if I'm holding the note at all.

@hannibal: how are the harmonics? Is it easy to play your second harmonic Bb and B without it being sharp too?

· Banned
1,865 Posts
Hey rleitch - yes, to vent the G just open it more. It has a similar effect on the upper stack notes, although to a lesser degree unless it's really not venting well, to that of the low C on lower stack notes. But it's a good idea to have a tech who is a player do this, unless you can work closely with the tech in person, for a number of reasons, not least of all is that it's common for the G already to be opening as much as the design of the key (as installed) will allow it to open; sometimes the linkage foot will need to be altered where it touches the octave vent cup (by bending or other means). AND, of course, if you don't like the result you will want to be able to take it right back to where it was.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.