Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm primarily a classical player who mainly plays alto, but I started doubling on tenor in the past few months. I'm currently playing on the standard Yamaha 4C that came with my horn.

I play on a Vandoren AL3 on my alto and I'd like to find something similar to that on tenor, but with a little less resistance. I want something dark and warm sounding as well. My chops on tenor are pretty decent, but I know upgrading my mouthpiece would improve my tone a lot. After upgrading from a 4C to my current mpc on alto I've found that mouthpieces can make a huge difference. Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Hi, I'm primarily a classical player who mainly plays alto, but I started doubling on tenor in the past few months. I'm currently playing on the standard Yamaha 4C that came with my horn.

I play on a Vandoren AL3 on my alto and I'd like to find something similar to that on tenor, but with a little less resistance. I want something dark and warm sounding as well. My chops on tenor are pretty decent, but I know upgrading my mouthpiece would improve my tone a lot. After upgrading from a 4C to my current mpc on alto I've found that mouthpieces can make a huge difference. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Just to clarify: Are you playing classical music on tenor?

If so, my preferred piece is the Morgan 6C. They come in smaller tip openings as well.

Have you already gone through trials with different reeds to dial in the desired resistance with your 4C?

Also regarding perceived resistance: Have you had your tenor checked for leaks?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts