Sax on the Web Forum banner

Upgrading my current tenor saxophone (USSR Moscow Music)

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  extradarcafe 
#1 ·
Hi!

I have now been playing for about year and a half and I think it would be a time for an upgrade now from my old (t)rusty Moscow Music. I have three options at the moment:

Yamaha YTS-23, recently fully re-padded and serviced. Comes with Selmer S80 mouthpiece. Asking price is 850€

Yamaha YTS-32, serviced about a year ago. No info about if it has been re-padded but seller says that the pads are fine. No idea what the mouthpiece is. Asking price is 1000€

Keilwerth Peter Ponzel Modell. Basic service has just been done (oiling the mechanism, oiling some pads). My concern is that it is has not been re-padded ever so the pads are original. The seller is the original owner and has had it for abbrox. 25 years. I called the repairman and he said that the sax is very good and the pads should be fine expect for two or three bow and bell pads, he might change them. Asking prices is 1000€.

I'm not able to test-play any of them since they are far away from my hometown. I'm really looking for a sax that would last a lifetime with me, but I really don't want to put anymore money into it since I play the sax just as a hobby. I have no specific genre I play so I just need a good all-around ax.

What do you think, which has the most reasonable price and would suite my needs?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #6 ·
Hi and thank you all for your opinions!

I have decided these three since there aren't much to choose from in the used market here in Finland. At the moment there are zero saxophones sold in my area and I think there nearest shop that sells new saxophones is about 200km from my home town. Of course I could wait if anything else appears nearer.

I think the seller will change those pads on this account. The repairman will have a one last look at the Keilwerth and decides if those pads needs a change.

I have still couple of days to think about but I think the Keilwerth is seen as a far more superior sax than those Yamahas so I might settle with that. The YTS-23 comes as a second choice but let's see what happens.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.