Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,636 Posts
If your standard metal ligature works, why "upgrade"? Actually, I don't think there is such a thing as "upgrading" a ligature. They serve one purpose - and that is to clamp the reed onto the mouthpiece table and hold it firmly. Nothing else.

Having said that, over the years (that would be 56 now), I've collected a lot of ligatures and yes, I have found a subtle difference among them. But I've concluded that it has a lot to do with the mouthpiece's table and the particular reed one is using. On one reed, my standard two-screw Selmer ligs work great. On other mouthpieces, my Rovner Eddie Daniels II (and the more recent version of the EDII, the Versa) seem to be a better choice. But beyond that, it certainly has nothing to do with tone-plates, rubber bumpers, and other gizmos marketed to a gullible musical market.

So, I'd recommend that you stick with your current ligatures and accept the fact that their sole purpose is to clamp the reed . . . and one can do it almost the same as another. DAVE

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.