Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have a King Super 20 tenor from late 60's.
It feels great, sounds great, the action is super slick, I have no complaints about the intonation...but. It's hard to maintain in good playing condition.
First of all the metal in some of the keywork seems pretty soft so some of the pad cups bend out of optimal adjustment too quickly.
Secondly horn is not really designed to be robust and easily maintainable. Compared to the keywork design of my Yani alto the King is really poor desing. Wearing parts affecting adjustment, critical pieces of cork in hard to access places. None of the keys "help each other" to seal and so on.
So it goes out of adjustment easily and it's difficult to get it back into adjustment.

If I took it to a tech twice a year it would be fine but I'm not really happy to do that.
Tenor is my secondary horn anyway and I would be happy to lose some of the sound and feel if I got a more robust and careless horn in return.

Would it be feasible to get a cheap-ish Chinese tenor to replace the King as a rehearsal and gig horn?
It seems I could get for example a BW "action improved deluxe" (nice name!) for just a bit more than a overhaul of the King would cost.
Do these things have as robust keywork as for example new Yanagisawas do?

·
Registered
362 Posts
What are your plans for the King? I don't know anything about BW but I do have 3 Taiwanese tenors that all play and hold up very well. Jupiter silver Artist model, Sugal Series IV and Orpheo Black Nickle.

Kevin

44 yrs of happy sax

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,951 Posts
That doesn't sound like an S20 to me, honestly, unless perhaps it's an almost-'70's one.

Sorry it is giving you those difficulties. Look on the bright side...sell it.... and you can buy a 3 used horns in good shape......

·
Registered
307 Posts
If ur not happy with what you have, then sell it to someone who will be. I don't personally want it, I'm amazingly happy with my 10 year old chinese tenor (and my brand new Venus sax)...but there are plenty of people who would like what you don't want. No point trying to make yourself like it reeli

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oric Muso: dead on!
In the Internet they seem to have a ready made answer to everythig...

It's an Eastlake King so I know it's not the same as the "real thing". I have tried one of the originals and it was a bit better and a lot of more expensive. Don't know about the keywork design.
If I sold the King I would regret it later. It's a great playing horn when it's in reasonable adjustment anyway.
I think I'll just try one of those branded chinese horns to see what it is about.

Thanks all for responses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just played a venus tenor sax which came from discount music store,tuning was dreadful,sax was well made was looking for back up horn and read good reports about them,but this venus sax was dreadful .i play selmer mark 6 tenor and yanagisawa 901 alto,so try before you buy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts