Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tech informed me ( and it was confirmed by his associate) that the whole upper stack was a re-solder.

This must have been more than a "stage" incident. That is a lot of resolder......:(

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The horn had a car accident, we already know. And the side passenger was ok? [rolleyes]

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
A resolder? What does that mean? Was the hold body tube stripped of posts, straightened and then everything soldered back on? And if so, is that necessarily bad if the repair and resoldering was done well? Or is this something completely different?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,213 Posts
Why are you posting in horns for sale?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Enviroguy: i would have preferred a pristine horn as advertised.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saxphil: you are right. I will ask admins to delete.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
Enviroguy: i would have preferred a pristine horn as advertised.
Sorry. I wasn't questioning your loss. I was really just wondering what the tech meant by that. I've always thought that heavy bodywork (like straightening a run-over body tube) usually required this as a matter of course.

This was just a question about that with nothing negative inferred. I know you were expecting a good sax in original condition. I'd probably be as upset as you are. You got a good price, but a very poor deal.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Enviroguy: i know. And it now plays awesome. Plus it is beautiful with the engraving.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Or a stagecoach accident?
Was the car actually a horse-drawn buggy?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
FWIW, I had my Big B tenor fall off a piano in HS. Although it hadn't been run over by a car, as you might guess, it was some pretty major damage.

Curiously, it played better after the repair than it did before the damage.

Not to lessen the outrage, but often that's how it works. Every horn I've had a complete dissassembly on (including the soldered bits of the body tube), plays better than when I got it. Essentially it becomes a hand-built horn with a level of attention to detail that didn't occur during the original manufacture.

Dill-weed may actually have done you a favor...

Not for my money, but it may help to think of it that way.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
FWIW, I had my Big B tenor fall off a piano in HS. Although it hadn't been run over by a car, as you might guess, it was some pretty major damage.

Curiously, it played better after the repair than it did before the damage.

Not to lessen the outrage, but often that's how it works. Every horn I've had a complete dissassembly on (including the soldered bits of the body tube), plays better than when I got it. Essentially it becomes a hand-built horn with a level of attention to detail that didn't occur during the original manufacture.

Dill-weed may actually have done you a favor...

Not for my money, but it may help to think of it that way.
great lesson for today. It made me want to throw of my horn from the balcony and send to the tech :bluewink:

·
8,588 Posts
Well, maybe you can avoid the damage part and just have the tech completely disassmble the horn (including all body tube joints) and put it back together again.

·
8,588 Posts
Pretty amazing, eh? And you wonder why I'm being less than tolerant in another thread. Seems to be a rash of less than honerable eBay deals going on right now -- or at least surfacing.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,640 Posts
I can't believe that guy would start a thread like that and think he could sell it to a member with out anyone figuring it out. The way he refers to it as his no F# tenor but thinks he better not mention the dumars part. What an [email protected]#. At least the horn looks and plays great now. I wonder how strong it is now though. I wonder if it will be more subceptibal to body bends or other problems. I hope not. This chump should pay for your time and money spent to deal with the horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
I can't believe that guy would start a thread like that and think he could sell it to a member with out anyone figuring it out. The way he refers to it as his no F# tenor but thinks he better not mention the dumars part. What an [email protected]#. At least the horn looks and plays great now. I wonder how strong it is now though. I wonder if it will be more subceptibal to body bends or other problems. I hope not. This chump should pay for your time and money spent to deal with the horn.

yes ok with feeling less than pleased because the misrepresentation but I don't understand going through all this fuss if.........

Enviroguy: i know. And it now plays awesome. Plus it is beautiful with the engraving.
it plays awesome and looks great..........

it is not that OP has been sold a dog , he has been sold a great playing and looking horn which went through an undisclosed accident (very poor style of the seller not to tell about that, granted!).

·
Banned
1,611 Posts
The biggest problem with selling a horn in this condition is that if the horn ended up playing badly after the repairs were done, I'm sure because of the damage it would show many signs of the damage and the new seller would have taken a loss upon resale.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts