Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a bari sax stand for use at gigs. My K&M is OK for home, but not for real world use. The current threads are about a year old and wanted to see if there are new opinions. I'm looking for your experiences with durability, longevity, how securely it holds the horn, stability (tipping), ease of carrying, any quirks, or unique problems that you ran into, and how you solved them. It looks like the SaxRax, Hercules, and Beechler are the favorites.

The Saxrax appears to be the "Mil Spec" or "Snap On tool" equivalent, but bulky to transport . The Beechler seems to be a good second choice, the Hercules looks a little unstable to me.

Your comments and experiences from "the road" are greatly appreceiated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Saxrax bari stands are no longer the one-piece bulky affairs they used to be. They come apart and are quite resonable in size to transport.

I HIGHLY recommend the SAXRAX over all other bari stands out there.

·
Registered
730 Posts
The Hercules works fine for me and it only ran me 40 dollars on sale at a local store.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,818 Posts
The Saxrax is probably the safest and most stable of the current production baritone stands. However, it takes up so much room that on about 85% of my baritone gigs, the other musicians would hate me and I might never work again. Even on a large stage there never seems to be enough room for the band. In a pit - forget it. Buy a cheap 3 legged black aluminum bari stand.

I use a Saxrax all the time on bass sax. The horn is too expensive to take any chances. If somebody really wants a bass sax on the gig, they will provide enough space for the horn - maybe.

My MYSPACE page:

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

·
1,310 Posts
FWIW I've had my Hercules bari stand for just under a year now - no problems no complaints. It's very stable - works for my Bb or low A horn with no real adjustments - and folds up small enough to throw in a bag with my music and other misc items.

·
1,254 Posts
I have had the Beechler for about 6 months or more and love it. It folds up nicely, is very stable, and you can get some pegs for clarinet and flute. It has spots on it for two pegs. It is very much like the alto and tenor stand in this respect. So if you double, this is a very nice feature.

I found a bag for a medium sized sleeping bag and carry it around in that.

I really can't recommend this stand enough. The only real disadvantage I have found is that it took me a little time to figure out how I wanted it adjusted for my bari.

Other than that, it is a great stand.

·
Registered
97 Posts
bari sax stand

I second the Beechler stand. Very stable.
A little heavier than the black tubular style but well worth it.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I tried quite a few stands but the saxrax is by far the best and most stable. Expensive but no need to go further.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts