Sax on the Web Forum banner

Usefulness of Tapatalk phone/tablet app

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received an alert defined as trending e-mail DIRECTED AT MY PRIVATE ADDRESS about all sorts of threads on SOTW via Tapatalk .

I assume this is a new forum function ( in that case I would much rather want that it wasn’t enabled and I am certainly going to avail myself of the option to never again receive such an alert but in any case why did the forum share my email address with tapatalk? )?

Or Perhaps it might be that finally all those using tapatalk and being so proud of it that they have to display it in their posts on the forum ( sent via tapatalk type of signature) finally will understand that anything that is “ free” comes to a price.

Privacy.

I am not amused.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
190 Posts
Agreed.

I suspect that most members would be somewhat alarmed that our private email addresses have been handed over to a third party without our knowledge or consent.

At the very least, the Tapatalk alert subscription should have been on an 'opt in' basis. Now that they've already got my email address...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,269 Posts
i received the same e mail today also. Needless to say i am not so thrilled about this. i am also a little bummed by all the cookies- from websites i never visit- i have to clean out of my computer after every visit to SOTW. i have my computer set to not accept cookies from third party advertisers but after every visit here i find between 35-50 websites have deposited there markers in my computer. i guess there is nothing to do but clean them out each time. It only takes a minute but it is a little annoying. The question now is what will tapatalk do with our e mail addresses?

·
3,269 Posts
i checked the unsubscribe option at the bottom of the e mail and then reported it as spam, we'll see.

·
40,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you are a lucky man although they would probably say that I was , as in:

“ YOU are the LUCKY winner of......!”
:twisted:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,895 Posts
Maybe it has something to do with what version of Tapatalk you use, or some settings on your phone. I use a Blackberry FWIW

·
40,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t use any pesky tapatalk! In fact I make fun of the people who insist in telling us they use this that or the other phone or system to send their messages on SOTW!

“ Sent from my computer, at home, without advertising on its brand or the programs that it uses "

I also received the email, not happy about it but just deleted it.

I am not complaining about having received spam. What I am complaning about is the fact that this forum has obviously shared my email with tapatalk.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I just received the same email from Tapatalk. It contains numerous links to various "trending discussions" on SOTW (complete with quotes from those threads) but the links don't refer directly to SOTW; instead they direct through email.email2.tapatalk.com. I am uninterested in click-through communications via a commercial third-party service and I am disappointed they have my personal email address which is NOT listed in my profile.

Shame on this site for sharing that with them!

I will say that in all the years I have been a member of these forums, this is the first SPAM that I have traced back to here. In a way, all the more disappointing. :(

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
13,032 Posts

·
18,153 Posts
Got the email also. NOT happy.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
i don't use tapatalk. i never have.
I configured the Tapatalk app for this forum and some others, but I've found it to be close to useless. The selection of posts that are highlighted is random and always out-of-date. It's very hard to use Tapatalk to monitor discussions in any kind of systematic way.

I too received the unwanted email, but I just immediately unsubscribed. I don't like it, but I can't say it's the worst spam I've ever received.

·
40,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Spam or the ease to unsubscribe from it is not the point of contention, the point is that obviously there is a link between this forum address data base and the tapatalk spam. Since I don’t have any dealings with tapatalk whatsoever the only source of my address relative to SOTW for tapatalk is SOTW.

We know that this happened because tapatalk, sending us an email relative to the SOTW threads, told us that they somehow have acquired our mail addresses form SOTW.

How do we know if it stops with tapatalk?

Our addresses might be shared with other organizations which might or might not tell us that they received them from SOTW.

THIS is the point of contention!

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,337 Posts
I got it too and deleted it without opening it.
I've also been getting 'pop up' ads with my blocker on and alerts that my notebook has been infected by a virus/malware. This only occurs while I'm on SOTW and no other sites.
Anti virus/malware program says that everything is up to date and I'm protected. Two complete scans of the computer and nothing has been detected and/or quarantined. It's a little worrisome...

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
My message included threads from Captain BeeFlat and Amanda's Dad. At the end of the email I found:

tapatalk logo

Tapatalk is the world's leading social app for online forums - helping people find, follow, and share their passions and hobbies. It is the one app you need to aggregate discussions from all the online forums you follow.
Download Tapatalk
This is a "trending discussions" email from Tapatalk. If you wish to unsubscribe from any more emails like this, please click here.
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2015 Tapatalk Inc.
2105 Colorado Avenue, Suite 109. Santa Monica, CA 90404

So, How did Tapatalk get our addresses?

1 - 20 of 114 Posts