Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
Discussion Starter #1
I have just acquired a closet 1972 Selmer Mark VI alto, the horn is almost pristine (needs a overhaul though) with most of its original lacquer (99%) very few scratches and in its original case.

In the case there was also his original mouthpiece. It is a soloist , short shank C* but it has no " soloist " mark written on the table the owner is the first owner of the horn and says that it is the original unrefaced mouthpiece. Has anyone else seen these soloists?
I have seen one that looks like this on ebay for 650$ belonging to 10mfan, mine is not as nice looking ( because a very light discolouration of the piece and the logo has faded) as that one....... but I hope its value is in the same ballpark. Any thought on this?

Premium Member
Hi,
Bruce Bailey here on SOTW had one of these too. They dont show up often, thats for sure. Theo said he never saw one of these and was intrigued by it.
I priced mine at $650 and I certainly feel that to be fair for a rare piece like that. You should value yours in the same ballpark. It doesnt matter that mines cleaner---yours is a rarity too.
People pay this much for a normal short shank Soloist D alto, and theyre not rare.
Remember---these pieces will be more attractive to a collector.
Good luck with your sale.

Registered
Are you sure this isn't just a 'scroll shank' ? The time period (1972) seems about right for when the scroll shanks started showing up. I think they actually replaced the 'Soloist' model. I had a couple of these back in the 70's...one for Alto, one for Tenor...sold them both many years ago.

Discussion Starter #4
well, if it were a " scroll shank" it won't have the horse-shoe chamber but it would be a round one.........

Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
Bruce Bailey here on SOTW had one of these too. They dont show up often, thats for sure. Theo said he never saw one of these and was intrigued by it.
I priced mine at $650 and I certainly feel that to be fair for a rare piece like that. You should value yours in the same ballpark. It doesnt matter that mines cleaner---yours is a rarity too.
People pay this much for a normal short shank Soloist D alto, and theyre not rare.
Remember---these pieces will be more attractive to a collector.
Good luck with your sale.
Cheers, same to you!

Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
It would seem that if it was 1972, claimed to be original and no Soloist on the table that it is just a regular long shank Soloist style.
The one I had that 10mfan mentions was like a short shank but the scroll area was smooth and the D was marked on the shank where the scroll would have been. At first I thought someone had sanded the scroll smooth but the D was too deep. I put this one with a horn I sold about 15 years ago. I am an idiot. I plyed it trought college and got it about 1967. It played better than any Selmer mouthpiece I had owned at the time. I don't remember what the chamber looked like.

Discussion Starter #7
It would seem that if it was 1972, claimed to be original and no Soloist on the table that it is just a regular long shank Soloist style..........
It could be , I will check better!

Distinguished SOTW Member
i had one as well. some fool refaced it and badly. i sold it cheap

1 - 8 of 8 Posts