Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this unusual case with my Conn C Soprano sax. It is made of a cylinder of thick cowhide, lined with a thick felt material. It looks like it used to have a handle and the top of the case closes with a small buckle. The sax fits neatly inside. Does anyone have any information on this type of case? Was it meant for a sax? Was it original to the sax (1921 model)? Who made it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
My guess if it is a tight fit which it looks like at the bell it could have been originally for a metal clarinet?
Never seen this as original case for sop sax but some expert should know.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
I have seen this type of case for soprano in France long time ago (30+ yrs), I forgot the model but it was an old pre WWII horn from an army band I think. It had a shoulder strap. I could tell you more only under hypnosis ;-)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took the C Soprano to my sax tech and he just remarked that old sax cases were like that as if it was nothing unusual. I still think one would see more of these if this was the case. It is entiredly possible that the case was made for a different instrument. The CSop fits in exactly with the mouthpiece attached. There are no auxillary pockets to store anything on the case - it looks like it was meant to carry the instrument all in one piece. The bell fits exactly at the top and would prevent the mouthpiece from jamming against the bottom. Being made for a marching band makes sense, as the case is fairly light and not as awkward as the suitcase type.
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts