Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might seem like a ridiculous question and I am fairly new to this site and don't know the type of people that come on here and if they are able to answer to this question. Anyways, I am in high school and my prom is coming up. I am considering getting my nails done and acrylics (fake ones) put on. Will I have trouble playing? I don't want to get them and then not be able to play, that would be terrible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,395 Posts
I don't know anything about nails, but if you want to roll from Eb to Low c, they better be short.
Short nails are a prerequisite for the guitar and piano, for the sax I've known some women whose nails were not that short but they played fine.
Go to the prom and have fun!!
This is the first day of the rest of your life!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
You'll also have trouble using the spatula key or sliding from low C# to B....that is if you keep your pinky bent. Also the use of the high F# key might have to be a little more accurate. Actually there's so many things that long nails would screw up when I think about. Kind of depends where you're at with your technique and whether you're into alt fingerings and really getting your fingers moving fast.

Personally long nails aren't all the attractive, at least for me. And most guys couldn't care less about the finger tips of most women. We're typically looking at other places. Save your money and get your hair done, wear some really nice perfume or body lotion.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,395 Posts
I agree, we men are looking some place else, not at your nails....

·
Forum Contributor 2009 & Mouthpiece Patch Mogul
4,054 Posts
I agree too! Don`t let them go longer than the ends of your fingers, they just get in the way. I don`t know why, but my fingernails grow very fast and I have to trim them weekly or sooner. Long fingernails on ladies aren`t attractive any more.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The lady wants special nails for a special occasion.

You'll be remembering the occasion (and playing the sax)
long after the nails are gone. Go ahead & do it!

There may be possible a reasonable compromise: Long enough
to make you feel special, short enough to play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
Yes, coming from an 18 year old guy, just make your nails look nice, they don't need to be long unless you want them to be.

Have fun.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2008
4,046 Posts
Actually long fingernails are kind of creepy. And they can really hurt a guy if you no what I mean. :)

Like I said above. Nice hair, lotions that smell really good and fresh breath. Paint your finger and toe nails red and keep them normal length. This is all any guy would ever need.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Guys don't even notice...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts