Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -

Has anyone seen this kind of mouthpiece before, with a "built-in" ligature?

Some history:
Many years ago (1975?) I was in junior high, playing Tenor sax. It was a year or two after my grandfather had died, and I found a saxophone among his possessions! I didn't recognize what it was - not quite a tenor, but bigger than an alto. I told my band director about it, who told me it was a C Melody. I've had it ever since.
It has two mouthpieces: The (what I've learned to be is the) standard "eagle" mouthpiece, and this metal one.

It has absolutely no markings on it.
Thoughts?

Thanks!
Dan

·
Registered
38 Posts
Looks cool! I believe there are other mouthpieces with built in ligatures but I have never seen one of exactly that style. Does it play in tune on the C Mel?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,511 Posts
There are all kinds of them. This is a Chinese Paititi soprano mouthpiece.

View attachment 104454
Yes, there are, but the one the OP is asking about actually appears to be permanently fixed to its ligature. I've seen the sliding ligatures (early links, Lawtons, many newer Chinese pieces), but this is different.

The mouthpiece looks like nickel. Kind of looks like an old Goldbeck I have lying around.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,416 Posts
yes, indeed , very unusual to have a fixed ligature absolutely NOT the same thing as a sliding ligature ( which is a rather common thing in many many brands), also the mouthpiece looks like a Lelandais ( but those were made of metal and very thin ebonite) or indeed a Goldbeck ( but I doubt it was of Nickel-Silver ), could be that someone soldered the ligature in place to one of these but it looks factory. In a way a similar idea is used (but there is a system to position ) by theo wanne

·
40,416 Posts
well, that it looks like one doesn’t mean it is one, generally Goldbeck mouthpieces are marked as such

and there were lots of brands copying each other the unique feature of the fixed place is certainly not Goldbeck

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Like Milandro said, Theo Wanne does a very similar thing, e.g. the Mindi Abair alto and I really like the concept, no sliding, it always stays exactly where it's supposed to be. Downside: hard to implement with an HR piece.

·
40,416 Posts
well , the difference is that there is no sliding but it is re-positionable by loosening the screws and shifting them to the next hole, in the picture above I see 5 different positions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts