Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
No idea on the maker but I would put it at early 1900s. THe automatic octave key is interesting with the rocker lever so it would not be too 19th century but the lack of the articulated G# with the fixed rear key cup would probably put it before about 1915. Goes to low Bb also. Probably not a stellar playing horn due to the vintage but it is in pretty decent shape for the money!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,474 Posts
this very horn has been discussed here

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?164677-Lugano-italy-C-melody

I have no idea st to why this should be attributed to Hawks and son but I have been wrong before.

I thought then and still think that this was made in Italy although in that topic the seller saxycol (probably the same person who is selling it now).

The engraving is very reminiscent of the Orsi engraving (they were made in Milan). As far as I could research there is never been a saxophone factory in Lugano while there were at least two close by in Quarna Sotto ( Rampone & Cazzani and Alfonso Rampone)

It usually helps to address Claudio Zolla of Rampone & Cazzani in order to know more, there is also a Museum in Quarna which keeps lots of documentation on the instruments production of this minute north Italian town few Km away from the Swiss border.

Having said this, stylistically this should be a French made horn but again, many early horns are more or less inspired to the French style

·
Registered
65 Posts
the left hand Eb key reminds me of a super 20

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,474 Posts
except that there is no way that this is an American made horn

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
this very horn has been discussed here

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?164677-Lugano-italy-C-melody

I have no idea st to why this should be attributed to Hawks and son but I have been wrong before.

I thought then and still think that this was made in Italy although in that topic the seller saxycol (probably the same person who is selling it now).

The engraving is very reminiscent of the Orsi engraving (they were made in Milan). As far as I could research there is never been a saxophone factory in Lugano while there were at least two close by in Quarna Sotto ( Rampone & Cazzani and Alfonso Rampone)

It usually helps to address Claudio Zolla of Rampone & Cazzani in order to know more, there is also a Museum in Quarna which keeps lots of documentation on the instruments production of this minute north Italian town few Km away from the Swiss border.

Having said this, stylistically this should be a French made horn but again, many early horns are more or less inspired to the French style
Thanks milandro, saved me saying all that, I remembered commenting on that other topic as well :bluewink: Just because it's engraved for a London company, with possibly a very small office (of 1 person or less) in Lugano, doesn't mean that it couldn't have been manufactured elsewhere on the continent... After all, that's how stencils started !

except that there is no way that this is an American made horn
+1, and another +1 for luck...

·
Registered
609 Posts
Beautiful horn. Thats all I can contribute...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts