Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas where and when this very unusual tenor with exceptionally nice ‘B’ for Buffet bell key guards may have been made?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
Here are two photos (I cannot find a better quality unfortunately) of stencils made for Courtois, I assume this is with input from Beaugnier,
but that´s all speculative. However, you should see similarities.

I would assume and must correct myself that this might have been done in WWII when the SA18 models shifted towards the Dynaction...
certainly a great playing instrument but difficult to verify as genuine Buffet.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Uwe, very interesting.

Seller's been impossible to get hold of, only wanted to be contacted by SMS (which bounces back), hasn't answered the number given, and has now suppressed the original ad and reposted at €2,000 in lieu of €1,200, with a totally different contact number in the body of the ad.

So I'm out. If anyone remains interested at the new price I'd counsel collection in person only.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I also noticed that.

Well, €1,200 in my eyes was already a bit on the high side, maybe OK if properly overhauled by a trusted technician. (Which is unlikely for horns on leboncoin.fr.)

I would be rather surprised if the seller manages to sell for anything beyond that, let alone €2,000.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
Robert Drouet was his own maker (not a stencil buyer) and in all probability made the saxophone above ^

For information on any French saxophone I’d suggest to contact these people hey know about French maker more than anyone else.

http://luthiervents.blogspot.com/2011/08/robert-drouet-fabricant-paris-cet.html

LUTHIER WINDS
Luthier winds, service and restorer of wind instruments. I propose on this blog a book maker, virtual, on observations, increased research themes. Articles on the restoration of wood and brass, specialized services for wind instruments, different accessories for winds, a window and a tool for the representation of wood and used brass.

General Blog address

http://luthiervents.blogspot.com

OR

THE Association of the wind instruments collectors of France

https://www.acimv.fr

Ce site internet est le nouveau site officiel de l'Association des Collectionneurs d'Instruments de Musique à Vent (A.C.I.M.V).
Ce site étant en pleine période de création, il se garnira progressivement et régulièrement. N'hésitez pas à y revenir régulièrement.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
No, but I am sure that the best source of information will be the links that I proposed.

There were many makers in France and many more stencils sellers , Buffet has always outsourced instruments (all manner of instruments not only saxophones) but they made also their own, Wading through the mazes of this things requires a specific knowledge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts