Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
View attachment 241278 View attachment 241280 View attachment 241220

Works well for both untethered audio and midi. Works on my clarinet, alto and tenor.

Components:
PiezoBarrel and their fitted clarinet barrel or sax mouthpieces. http://www.piezobarrel.com
Lyre or custom square bar for lyre receptacle. I used the mic holder I purchased when I was exploring mic options.
Sonuus G2Mv3 and iM.1 https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-MID...tooth+adapter&qid=1567273757&s=gateway&sr=8-3 for wireless Bluetooth Le midi to Mac or ios. (Update - Not happy with the range of the im.1 and I think it needs more power as it worked well on other wind controllers with more batteries - switched to the PUC+ which is bulkier and requires a cable but has it's own batteries for BTle midi)
Wi Digital AudioLink Pro https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod...ive}&msclkid=a7a88da7951e16a60df3d0cd26ccbd48

IK Multimedia Blueboard with vol pedal for wireless BTLE midi control of vol and other parameters.

If you are not interested in midi then you just need the wireless audio component.

The system can go directly to an amp for vol or effects. If you go to Mac you will need an audio interface. I use iRig. No need for midi interface but I would only use BTLe Midi in a short range situation. I also cut the receiver part off of the iM.1 long ago when I used it on the EWI5000 and Yamaha WX5. Working with midi is another world. Pitch Bend and note on and off tracking is excellent provided you match the pitch bend range of the G2M with your soft synth. The G2M is a system really designed for guitar but does have a voice/instument settings and also a switch for chromatic without pitch bend. Vol and playing the same note is succession are know issues but there are work arounds.

It takes seconds to switch it between saxes but for clarinet you can either velcro strap it on the underside near the bell and use a longer cord or with the same cord keep it in your shirt pocket. You don't lose midi connection unless you take the 1/4 in plug out of the G2M as it shuts off when you do. One AA battery in G2M and it does step up the voltage to power the 5 pin din Bluetooth Le midi dongle. The wireless audio transmitter and receiver are rechargeable or you can use USB to battery block but that adds weight and really is not needed.

You can also tap into your own mouthpiece but I chose not to and I actually like the inexpensive mps for PB. Same goes for the clarinet barrel. Too many issues using a mic to the G2M as they pick up key noises, and background noise. PB works on pressure. Some purists may not like the clean audio (it is good in my opinion) but if you are using it for effects or midi that is a non issue. I am using carbon fiber reeds on all instruments and the purists don't like them also. Used the same reed on my tenor for a year playing at least 5 hrs a week. Now going to traditional reeds to see if I notice any difference.

If you use a regular lyre the components will be out in front or to the side and you have to make sure the wire does not foul the keys. View attachment 241222

Update : Getting much better results when I switched from iM.1 to PUC+ for BTLE midi. Had to use a midi cable as the G2Mv3 does not have usb. Rig has more bulk but don't notice the added weight when playing tenor. Wireless midi range and tracking much improved. Still have wireless audio. Went to using a vol pedal with IK Multimedia BlueBoard as vol tracking is an issue with the G2Mv3. Just mapped the pedal sending cc to the vol knob in the amp section of Kontakt for each vst I use. For this screen recording test I used the VG Trumpet free demo as I can't seem to get Sample Modeling Trumpets to work well. I kept the rig mounted to the tenor in a stand and swapped the Piezo Barrel to my clarinet and used the wire that came with the PB to tether to the tenor. Not that experienced at the clarinet. Switched the G2Mv3 to chromatic mode towards the end of the video.
]
Messing with vol pedal. Clip sound and video jumps is caused by screen recording software stressing CPU on Macbook. Also playing clarinet so soft I can just hear it. Need to adjust the attack on the sound vst. In Chromatic mode with no pitch bend Excuse the vol spikes as I am using the foot pedal this way for the first time. Also I am a awful clarinet player and not used to using the clarinet this way.

Update: Lessons learned from 1st rehearsal with new rig:

I set everything using clarinet but used the tenor at the rehearsal. Forgot that it had a different range and the only sound that worked was the B3 organ. I could roam around the room and never lost connection and no false or hung notes. Vol pedal with Blueboard worked well. Used Chromatic settings with the B3 as the pitch bend is turned off. I should have used the wireless audio so I could monitored the acoustic sound from across the room. Think I will add reverb and a little eq. The Peavy Modeling Guitar amp that I use for practice at home has software that will run in Reaper so I can use all the effects without hauling the amp. I use a JBL PA that has a mixer with basic eq.

After notifying VG that their sounds that I had purchased for the AE10 worked well they sent me more sounds to test. They responded within the hour which indicates that offer good support. That was unexpected and very kind.

Update 9/4/19: Came up with another idea so you don't have to mount anything on your horn. I attached everything to an alto strap and if I am playing a tenor I just will use a tenor strap and still keep the alto strap on as I do anyway. So the only thing going to the pick up on a tenor, alto or clarinet is a wire but you still are untethered to the amp, Mac or ios device. Everything keeps connections if you only remove the wire connecting to the pick up when you switch horns. Caution, you may be mistaken for a suicide bomber so always take the strap off when mingling. You don't have to put it around your nick as you could hang it off your shoulder and keep it to one side our use a fanny pack around your waist but the longer the chord the more chance you have with fouling it with the horn.. I like it around my neck to under my left arm so I can get at the chromatic button quickly. I If you just have it on you shoulder it might slip off if you bust a move while playing.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update 9/18/19 Pretty much settled on using a camera case with the strap around my neck and everything behind my left arm out of site but easily accessed. Settled on using a B3 sound added to a blended sax/clarinet with a little reverb and eq. I also use a mic directly to PA if I want to pick up the breathy sub tones. Could not get a horn section sound that was pleasing on Mac. I also went to ipad and using Cubasis hosting Thumbjam blues organ an octave down and SampleTank guitars. Blended in the acoustic sound with Amplitude for octave effects and reverb. Using two pedals with Blueboard for vol and mod wheel control. Pitch bend tracks good using SampleTank. Turned off pitch bend on Mac as I could not get good tracking. Most likely user error. Tending to use ios for clarinet now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts