Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've started to suffer from note instability in the palm key area.
Many times in normal playing palm notes like D give me a whistle or multiphonic instead of the intended note. Especially so when changing to it from surrounding notes like fork E or high C.
Making the palm D sound a multiphonic is easy. Too easy...
This is controllable but I feel it requires too much effort from me. I also think this has been getting worse.
Fork E to altissimo seems to be fine or at least better.

I have tried different reeds and the basic issue remains although some reed make the multiphonic easier than others.

I haven't tried a different mouthpiece because this one has been working fine before and objective testing would be quite difficult.

The horn is less than a year old and never visited a tech.

This a Yani A992 Alto and RPC90B.

Any suggestions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,287 Posts
I would try different reeds before anything else.
All it takes is a reed that doesn't quite fit properly to throw something like the palm key notes out.

I would flatten the back of a new reed with a knife or fine sandpaper or whatever and then soak the reed and then let it dry out and then flatten the back of the reed again to try to get rid of any reed warping that happened as the reed was soaked and then dried, the so called reed breaking in period.

Reeds are a pain in the ???

Then I would try different mouthpieces if I still had the problem.

Then I would look to the horn itself if I still had the problem after the reed and mouthpiece changes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Check your mouthpiece facing isn't warped or damaged - do a suction test with a well-wetted reed. If it holds a vacuum for a considerably long time (over 10 seconds) then it could be you're tightening up too much for these high notes to force them, so relax your embouchure for them.

·
Registered
JS Crescent, JS NOS, Selmer SBA, Couf Superba I, Conn, Buescher, King
1,453 Posts
jokunen, are you talking about D3 and up, or are you trying to play D2, Eb2 and etc. by using palm keys? If it's the lower octave you're trying to play there, you probably have some type of air leak somewhere above those notes, or an obstruction of some kind in the bore (if it's not the mpc and/or reed).

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all.
Yes it's the D3 and up.
So the problem should be in the reed/mpc department. No one suggested a possible problem with the horn itsef. I'll keep experimenting with reeds.
The mpc seems to be fine or at least there is no visible damage and it has been working fine before.
Tightening too much is always possible but I guess I'm not pinching too excessively as the higher notes come out fine.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
For these notes, the shape of the mouth cavity, controlled by the tongue, is also very important.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts