Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a selmer New York curved soprano serial number 59842 which puts it 1955. Selmer tells me when I contact them its a Mk VI. It dosen't say mark six anywhere on it. Is it a mark six if it has a m6 serial no but dosen't actually say Mark VI?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,315 Posts
Your sax was made in the USA, and is under a completely different set of serial numbers. Selmer Paris and USA are two separate companies with different records and numbering schemes. Paris has no knowledge of your sax.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Uriah601 said:
I have a selmer New York curved soprano serial number 59842 which puts it 1955. Selmer tells me when I contact them its a Mk VI. It dosen't say mark six anywhere on it. Is it a mark six if it has a m6 serial no but dosen't actually say Mark VI?
Can you post a photo of this sax? I'm not aware of Selmer Paris ever making curved sopranos. It may be a vintage Conn stencil.

C

·
0 Posts
Selmer New Yorks were stencils made by Conn from 1920 to 1930.
Your serial number puts your horn around 1920. Go to Saxpics.com
and check out Conn saxes , specifically Conn New Wonder series 1.
Most likely you own a stencil version of the 4m curved soprano.

C

·
0 Posts
That's another possibility. While you're at Saxpics, check out the
Buescher True tone series 2 as well. Compare the keywork , tone hole positions ...
Either way, you've got a pretty good vintage soprano.

·
Registered
186 Posts
For some reason, there is no "delete" option.....so just disregard.

HOW CAN I DELETE THIS? I SEE NOTHING TO ENABLE IT......

·
Registered
186 Posts
I also have an "unmarked Mark VI", a tenor, circa 1962 (102,xxx). It was made by Selmer, in Paris, has all the proper markings, but no Mark VI anywhere on the horn.

A few repair guys over the years had their various theories about it, but no one ever doubted it's authenticity.... I guess there's either some valid reason, or it just may have been a goof-up at the shop. :dontknow:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
Probably a Europe market horn. I bought my VI in France in 1964 and it does not have the Mark VI on it. I think US horns are the only ones and it varies as to where it is engraved. If it is a Selmer Paris horn with the proper serial numbers for a VI, then it is a VI.

·
Registered
186 Posts
bruce bailey said:
Probably a Europe market horn. I bought my VI in France in 1964 and it does not have the Mark VI on it. I think US horns are the only ones and it varies as to where it is engraved. If it is a Selmer Paris horn with the proper serial numbers for a VI, then it is a VI.
Thanks for the info Bruce..... :thumbrig:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I also have a 1956 MVI Alto (sans the Mark VI logo) I believe it is either European or European sold in the Canadian market. (SER 63xxx) Silver plate, Bell engraving made in Paris. Lovely horn. Awesome tonal qualities.
I also have an "unmarked Mark VI", a tenor, circa 1962 (102,xxx). It was made by Selmer, in Paris, has all the proper markings, but no Mark VI anywhere on the horn.

A few repair guys over the years had their various theories about it, but no one ever doubted it's authenticity.... I guess there's either some valid reason, or it just may have been a goof-up at the shop. :dontknow:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts